Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres.......?

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
I have a Berlina VTII wagon, bog standard 3.8. Its shod with 205/65/15 Kumho Powermax 769 tyres. They are pretty good given way car is driven (not fast, mostly around town - its a family car) in the 3 months I've had the car, but now need replacing.

In my talking to tyre places, views on replacements mostly seem to be dependent on what they have in stock ! Anything from $90 per tyre up to $245 ! Most places say those brands such as Kumho, Silverstone and Hankook are pretty good these days if you stick clear of their entry level tyres - go for their "performance" tyre series they say.

But, I've heard that after they lose 50% of their tread, grip starts suffering compared to same wear on more established brands.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had got some 205/65/15 tyres recently, how much $ and are they happy with them ? Or any rec's - tyre brand and model, if you know, would be great.

Happy to spend up to about $150 per tyre - looking for good grip/wear combination if possible.

All comments appreciated.

Thanx.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I had Toyo on my VR (before going 17') and they gripped very nicely and lasted around 30,000k's. Looking at $135 each from memory.

But there are better brands, but I was happy with this one.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
I would recommend you get some Pirelli P6000.

I have had them on my Wagon for 10,000km and as for the treadwear they still looks new.

Excellent preformance in all conditions...

Jax's tyres currently have them on sale at $109 per tyre for 205/65/15.

Jax's also have six outlets in the ACT

Btw, when it comes to tyres stick with the trusted names Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli, Yokohama.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
yeah the Pirelli P6000 are an awsome tyre and are reasonably priced...my folks use it on the other commies with 14" and 15" wheels....

reformed99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I've got Firestone Firehawk TZ100s.
$100 each from the bridgestone tyre place.
They're great, make the RE92s that came with it look very ordinary.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i have pos-a-tractions ( cheapskate )
cost me $80 each from bob janes.
they are good for long mileage as long as you drive them nicely.
no complains about the grip either. ( not the best but not the worst either)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i agree with wagon man and deanohsv pirellis P6000 would prolly have 2 b the top choice in 15's 4 sure and r in ur price range

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I cannot recommend enough Kumho KH15. Also called Kumho Solus. They're 205/65/15 and only about $95 each from memory. I put a new set on my exec last November but ended up selling it in march. They're fantastic! Most quiet tyre I've ever had. Dead silent. They look great. Grip is great in the wet and dry, and they are non directional so rotations are easy. The calais I bought came with 16" wheels and needed new tyres. I would have bought KH15's again but decided to get 17" wheels and the KH15's weren't available in 17". Always ring around a few places for prices. 5 places will give you 5 different prices.