Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyring to remove the front rotors on my VS! ;( - How to?

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Hey fellas!,

I'm currently in the process of replacing my front rotors and brake pads. I've removed the calipers and can't seem to take the rotors off? I've sprayed into the area with some WD40 and given them a light tap but to no avail. I've never done these before so can someone tell me how to go about this?

Cheers Fellas!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
you can tap them from behind with a hammer while you rotate them. don't hit them too hard as you may bugger the bearings. If that doesn't work you can apply some gentle heat to the rotor around the centre of the hub inside of the wheel studs, and I mean gentle and the rotor will expand and come off as it's probably rusted to the part of the hub that sticks out in the centre.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Hey Fellas,

I figured it out! I noticed there were 3 small holes with thread in it. Found some old 202 water pump bolts and they fitted the thread perfectly. Would a couple of them in and 30 seconds later the rotors were off!

Cheers!

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
rubber mallet an go to town on it i just did the front on my vx an i had to get nasty with it

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
good on ya mine didint have the theraded holes in it

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
I tell ya', just getting the tyres off took some major work. The tyres haven't been off for many years now, and it's like the rust had bonded to the back of the rims or something. Had to get in there with a ****-load of wd40 and let it soak just to take them off.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
hey DFLHUB666,

That's what worries me with the new cheapie cross-drilled and slotted rotors that will be going on. They don't have the threaded holes, so when they will be due in the future I might be in for some trouble.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
hey DFLHUB666,

That's what worries me with the new cheapie cross-drilled and slotted rotors that will be going on. They don't have the threaded holes, so when they will be due in the future I might be in for some trouble.

put some copper grease on your hubs and they will come off easy next time.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Clean up the hubs with a wire brush before you put the new discs on and apply a thin coat of anti-seize eg. Copaslip between the disc and hub and the wheel centre and the hub.

The trick with getting discs off is to hit them from the outside i.e. towards the centre of the car while rotating the disc/hub. They will pivot on the hub and it's easier than trying to hit from behind.