Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

UK to ban new sales of petrol, diesel and hybrid cars by 2035

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
2035 might seems a while away, but 15 years is nothing when you think about. I wonder if they'll ban new sales of trucks, aircraft and ships?

Sorry no link but Google reveals plenty.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Lol, I believe when I see it, fuel tax is what gives them heaps of revenue. They would have to put the levy tax on car rego or putting the extra tax on charging your buzz box.

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
I can see Britain turning into another Cuba, heaps of old cars being kept running long past their due date with the wrecker.
But knowing British logic, they'll ban that from happening too.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I can see Britain turning into another Cuba, heaps of old cars being kept running long past their due date with the wrecker.
But knowing British logic, they'll ban that from happening too.

Replace Britain with Australia.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Europe seems to be the guineapigs for everything, they were the first to go cashless in some parts now they going fossil fuel free by 2035 meaning long cold winters with no gas to heat there homes relying on the sun and wind unless they going nuclear power they wont have the power to charge their vehicle's.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Europe seems to be the guineapigs for everything, they were the first to go cashless in some parts now they going fossil fuel free by 2035 meaning long cold winters with no gas to heat there homes relying on the sun and wind unless they going nuclear power they wont have the power to charge their vehicle's.

I think you need to re-read the thread title. UK Govt has announced they are bringing forward the original plan of 2040 for no new car sales with ICE to 2035

Lots of UK coal powerplants have moved to biomass now. How much better for the planet that is is debatable.

There was another thread on here somewhere where someone got excited about what they'll do for chainsaws!

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
This whole notion of banning ICE cars in favour of electric is going to backfire spectacularly, I can just see it.
As advanced as technology may be, the fact remains that producing batteries generates more emissions and is far more environmentally destructive than producing a regular ICE vehicle.
Then there is the questionable reliability and longevity of these battery packs which need replacement at eye watering costs...
And how is the electricity grid going to cope? Here in Australia our electricity grid goes into meltdown on a hot day just from people using their air conditioners. How is it going to cope with hundreds of thousands of electric vehicles plugged into it?
There is so much hype over EV's being the future, but the more I look at it, the more I realise that it's pie in the sky stuff....
ICE will be here to stay for many decades yet.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yes we be making ICE soon we have no other manufacturing left. ;) ICE contains battery acid and all sorts of goodies to keep you on cloud 9..

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Eh, I think as more people realise how awful cars are, transportation wise, there's going to be a bigger push to increase public transit infrastructure... Leaving cars to be more or less designed to be fun machines... Maybe then we'll see some cool **** coming out of the Automakers.

Tbh, personal cars suck for transportation on a persons per space occupied basis, and a fuel/energy cost per person deal. I could only see cars/trucks as being viable transport in regional areas where distance and cargo is a factor, or in the vein of Taxis and Uber.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute

You also forget that those regions have pretty intense geothermal activity... Which can be used to generate baseload power.