Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ultra high ratio rockers for Buick? Like the ones for the Ecotec?

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VN Calais 1989
Hey gents.

Was wondering if anyone knows where I could get my hands on a set if the 1:9:8(?) Ultra High Ratio Rockers similar to the ones that Mace sell for the Ecotecs, but for my S1 Buick?

I had my heart (and wallet) set on throwing a cam in there for some more poke, but it was brought to my attention that no amount of exhaust modifications will be able to mask the raspy lumpy sound of a cammed 6 at idle (Trying to be discreet here!).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Woteva, I've seen those a couple of times and have considered getting them, but a close (very mechanically minded) friend seems pretty dead set certain I won't see any more than 4-5kw at the rears, a third of what Mace are claiming. I've got my own tuning gear, CAI, better injectors, Extractors and a free flowing exhaust, so am certain that a set of rockers will make a brilliant addition and be received well by the rest of my intake/exhaust system. Was just hoping really hard that they had 1.98 for the Buicks, but that doesn't seem to be the case :(!!!.

If anyone has any dyno information or insight on how these rockers go in a Buick, it would be greatly appreciated. Prior to this I was dead keen on picking up a Stage 3 cam, but have since found out that there's no way on the face of this planet that I could hide it from onlookers (due to noise), which is what I'm aiming for.

Other than rockers, and maybe a port+polish, I don't really know what else I could do to it. N/A is a must (P plates yo!!!), and I'm not spending 4k+ on stroking it (Teenager, YO!).

Edit: It seems that with the 1.9 rockers I'll still have higher lift than the Eco boys with 1.98's.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
save your money or get a decient custom cam grind no off the shelf shita's.its pretty easy to gain 20% or more hp if you allready have airflow mods to inlet and exhaust and have it not be a choppy mess at idle with a bit of tuning.
you a p plater and dont want to get pinged for mods i take it LOL

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
save your money or get a decient custom cam grind no off the shelf shita's.its pretty easy to gain 20% or more hp if you allready have airflow mods to inlet and exhaust and have it not be a choppy mess at idle with a bit of tuning.
you a p plater and dont want to get pinged for mods i take it LOL

As in the above posts, am a P plater and can't go cam due to how damn obvious it is at idle. Was thinking I could up spark until it smoothed out (like I did on my stock cam, as you and the others over at PCM taught me), but once again, have been informed that there's nothing I can do to smooth it out so it's not really noticeable.

MACE

Reaction score
Hey gents.

Was wondering if anyone knows where I could get my hands on a set if the 1:9:8(?) Ultra High Ratio Rockers similar to the ones that Mace sell for the Ecotecs, but for my S1 Buick?

I had my heart (and wallet) set on throwing a cam in there for some more poke, but it was brought to my attention that no amount of exhaust modifications will be able to mask the raspy lumpy sound of a cammed 6 at idle (Trying to be discreet here!).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Given the nature of your requirements, the rockers are a great upgrade. I say this not only because of the fact that they work well out of the box, but the fact that you're planning on doing head work which will see even greater gains. The only thing that I can add if you're going to the trouble of head work is to increase the compression ratio.

We don't offer a ratio higher then 1.9:1 for VN-VR V6 engines, due to the lack of pushrod clearance. However if the heads were off then the clearance around the pushrod could be increased, meaning that you could run a ratio higher then 1.9:1 which we could make but would be classed as a custom job on our end (in this case price same, delivery time much longer).

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the information Steve.

I don't think I'll go down the path of custom work, my wallet isn't as deep as I'd like it to be :/. By the sounds of it I'll definitely head down the path of 1:9:1 rockers, seems like it'd be worth doing.

Cheers mate, keep doing what you're doing :)

MACE

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Steve.

I don't think I'll go down the path of custom work, my wallet isn't as deep as I'd like it to be :/. By the sounds of it I'll definitely head down the path of 1:9:1 rockers, seems like it'd be worth doing.

Cheers mate, keep doing what you're doing :)

"Thanks for the information Steve."
No problem.

"I don't think I'll go down the path of custom work, my wallet isn't as deep as I'd like it to be :/. By the sounds of it I'll definitely head down the path of 1:9:1 rockers, seems like it'd be worth doing."
The custom rockers would be the same price as the standard ones, just the lead time would be ages (couple of months). Could speed this up but then would have to charge a setup time which would be quite expensive :(

"Cheers mate, keep doing what you're doing :)"
All good :)

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You'll have more lift on a s1 VN with 1.9 rockers than the ecotecs with the 1.98 rockers. The rockers do wake them up but the fact is the very short duration factory cam will mean it still falls over not much past 4500rpm. The rockers do increase this a bit but it's never going to rev out with a stock cam. I've run those rockers for a few years and they do work.

If you wanted to run more lift you would also need to sort out the valve guide seal/ spring retainer clearance.

Just fitting extractors makes the idle more noticeable, adding a free-flow exhaust reduces muffling even more. I'd imagine that plod would pick up on these mods?

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd imagine that plod would pick up on these mods?

Thus far haven't had an issue with this at all, I don't drive like too much of a tard when people are around. A cam though, it's obnoxious 24/7, regardless of how you drive, it'll just be a huge flashing sign on my head really :(.

I'm really just after things I can do to add noticeable poke to my motor. It's got plenty of get up and go at the moment, but like everyone out there, I want 'just a little bit more' hahahaha!