Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ultra low Kings and monroe shorts shocks

hsvluva

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF V8 Calais
Just picked up a set of near new monroe GT short shocks and ultra low king springs for a steal. I have a 2010 S1 V6 calais v with 20" hsv pentagons. Will this be undrivable low? I have noticed the front Springs are the same on the ultra and super low kits from King, but the rears are different. Should I get another set of rears to make it super low? Paying an installer and I don't want to get the ultras on and it be undrivable and then have to hunt down rear springs and do it all again

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
I literally just done this to mine last weekend (albeit a Wagon).

The V6 model, there is no "ultra low" for the fronts. It shares the same part number as the V8, but the "ultra low" height, or lack off, simply comes from the extra weight of the V8 engine, compared to the V6.

So the SSSL front part number for a V6 model will be Super Low, but for the V8, the SSSL part number is ultra low

Monroe will not warrant any shocks beyond "superlow". So they will warrant SSSL in the front of a V6, but if you have SSSL in the rear, for 1, thats going to be damn low, but 2, they wont warrant it.

I got KHFL 152-SSSL in the front (super low) and KHRL 152SSLHD (Super low and a HD / stiffer spring to hold up the back of the wagon).
Also the 151 is VE, the 152 is VF. The VF springs have a better spring seat, and they also sit about 5mm lower to its VE counterpart.

Got a eye brow measurment of 355 front and rear. That wont change with rim size.

I've got 20inch Supersports on mine and having pulled out coilovers and put in springs and shocks......its like driving on a cloud now.

hsvluva

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF V8 Calais
Thanks for the great info. Sound like I should track down some rear SSL's to replace the SSSL's for the rear. I am going Springs n shocks as I hated the feel of my VF with coilovers.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
yeah I'd get some SSL for the rear, otherwise with the SSSL it will be head up, bum down.

Mine sits at 95mm ground clearance (centre muffler). So to avoid anyone in blue wanting to argue over 5mm, I'm going to get my centre section exhaust cut, re-angled, and tucked up. Theres a lot of room for it to be tucked up. So it sits low, but legal at 100mm. I cant wait to see the face of mr plod who wants to stick his magic wheel underneath will get nothing.

H82IDL

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz hsv r8 LSA. Caprice 07 L98
i run sssl all round in the 07caprice on stock shocks(i will upgrade shocks eventually), bump stops cut in half and no dust boots in rear, it drives well, just gotta be careful over bumps and have guards rolled is a must,
Ya just cant beat the look of a set of wheels tucked.