Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uluru

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
So the last tourists have climbed Uluru.

I’ve been there 4 times. First was about 1990, with the intention of making the climb, but I chickened out at Chicken Rock. It is a lot steeper and dangerous than it appears in photos.

Since then I have been content with walking around it, just taking my time and enjoying the sheer bigness of it, and watching the colours.

Any forum members made the climb ? What are the thoughts of banning the climb ?.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
So the last tourists have climbed Uluru.

I’ve been there 4 times. First was about 1990, with the intention of making the climb, but I chickened out at Chicken Rock. It is a lot steeper and dangerous than it appears in photos.

Since then I have been content with walking around it, just taking my time and enjoying the sheer bigness of it, and watching the colours.

Any forum members made the climb ? What are the thoughts of banning the climb ?.
I walked up and down Ayers Rock when I was in my teens.
Never climbed Uluru. I think it's different.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Climbed it in '75, was a school excursion.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You both climbed Ayers Rock when you were young, brave and agile. :)
The first time I was at Uluru, I was somewhat older, and the continuous ant stream of highly exited Japanese tourists made me think twice about personal safety and fitness.
I was reading a newspaper report regarding the possible 'loss' of the tourist dollar for the Anangu/Mitijula community.
The park pass costs $25, of which 25% of that goes to the Land Council, then 20% of that goes to the local community. They get 3/5 of 5/8 of SFA.
Who gets the rest, and what does it get spent on ?
I have had a swim in Lake Eyre, but now a swim in Lake Kati Thanda is off limits.
Last week, I was standing at the tip of Cape York, (again) and as there are changes coming in that region, how long it will be before there will be a name change, entry fee, and restrictions on that iconic part of Australia.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Life is all about making a quick buck these days, clipping the ticket. I do agree though that something needs to be done to protect some of these natural habitats. I know increased tourism is doing damage to nature at some tourist attractions here in NZ. Closing an attraction because it offends someone might be taking things a bit far though. So called freedom campers are doing a lot of damage here, the previous government was keen to promote tourism but not keen to invest in infrastructure to support it, the current government has instigated a tourism tax at the border to help pay for more infrastructure so at least some effort is been made now but once again we at a decade behind where we should be.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I hope its the end of Tourists visiting the rock and giving the natives money,theres nothing else there except flys the last time I was there in the late 90's I wasn't Australian enough to even 4wd around the back of the rock a set of natives in a tax payer funded land cruiser pissed me off didn't even get far enough to turn the diff lockers on.
When your on top looking around theres a heap of desert to see no different to looking at the rock from 50 k's away when driving to it. Hot as hell with flys trying to fly up your nose.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might be wrong but didn't they close the rock for climbing like 20 years ago? I thought they must have reopened it when I seen this on the news.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's a rock wow.....

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
It's a rock of natural processes pure and simple, nothing more nothing less.

I think gone a little too far, you can go into historic buildings anywhere in the world and admire it but not a rock because people believe they have the right to claim it.

My tax dollars aren't knocked back though going towards cleaning up the site, road maintenance, signs etc.

Now watch it unfold where they have lost x amount of dollars because of the lack of tourism.

On the upside they can at least run private tours and charge a fortune because you bet that will still happen.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
So they're banning walkers...doesnt say anything about vehicle access.

normal_CruiseMoab2011-0130.JPG