Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Umemployed?

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I can't really see why I haven't got a job eh...

I have a car, license, first aid cert, oh&s card, a few other certificates and tickets.

Went to 2 interviews last week and haven't heard anything back yet... Going to one today at 2pm, for an apprenticeship.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
yeh i wanted to get into an app but from wot i have seen most want juniors lol :( but im waitin to here bak for a mechanic one on the 31st but im still lookn in the mean time as im not waitn an than not get in

cheers

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
lost my job about a month ago after the business that I was at closed down. :bang:
I have been looking for work since. It is not as easy as one would have thought. Still, enjoying the time off while I can :p

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
yeh i enjoyed the time off but than it draged on longer an longer an now i get the shits bad lol ill yell at the com if i read an add that says Junior an so on. lol

cheers

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
sixshooter said:
Instead of just moaning about the job market... ask yourselves just one question

"What are you doing for yourself to make yourself more employable ?"

The biggest mistake anyone can make in their younger years is to not have their own direction or destiny to follow. It will turn around and bite them in the bum when they are older.

If you're all now just seaching for whatever employer will take you in and train you to do a job, then you will always be on the bottom of the heap and fighting for work entitlements. The way the gov has made things now with job contracts, people wont be able to fight for much without a good skills base.

If you get yourselves trained in some major field that will always be there and always in demand for people to do the work, then you'll always be employable as soon as you become unemployed.

Bit of a rant but just my 2c....

Hellaluja! I've deleted a few paragraphs but agree totally. I am an employer and find that most applicants for jobs are unemployed for a reason. This is not directed at any of the posters to this thread because I don't know any of you.

If you are continually getting knocked back for jobs, look at yourself - it is your problem, not everybody elses. Look at how you dress (in most cases conformity is the key), how you present yourself (take out your eyebrow rings etc) and your resume, how you talk and for gods sake learn how to spell! When you are talking to an interviewer speak confidently, be bright and pleasant. Don't crack jokes but when you meet somebody a smile and firm shake of the hand as you say "pleased to meet you" goes a long way. If anybody wants some tips from a guy on the other side of the desk feel free to pm me.

The biggest issues I find with employees is work attitude and reliability. These days I don't employ anybody who is living with the "folks" and prefer those who have to pay rent or a mortgage. Reason - they have to turn up to work. I have run businesses who employ an agregate of over 500 workers and those that turn up on time every day are by far the minority.

Next is work ethic. Ask 100 people and 100 will say they are great workers but less than 1/3 are when my back is turned for 5 min. Ever wondered why afternoon shift is only 2/3 as productive as day shift on average??? Most of my guys are "unskilled" and trained on the job. The stupid thing is that the top guys earn $1,200 per week by just doing their job however most are lucky to get $700 because they find reasons why they can't be at work etc.

Oh well - I won't be popular (again!) but there's my little rant for the day :bang:

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
minux said:
sixshooter, you seem very confident that just a diploma will get you a high paying job. No offence, but if you want high paying, you really need uni.

No offence but you are full of #%@*!

Basic education is important but a Uni degree is *NOT* a pre-requisite for a high paying job. Some professions it is manditory such as Lawyer, Dr etc however experience and a bit of planning on your part can get you well over $100k in not too long.

Focus on the job and learning how to do your next job. Forget about the money, it will look after itself for the most part. Be a bit smart about it and don't be discouraged.

Reaper

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Reaper said:
Hellaluja! I've deleted a few paragraphs but agree totally. I am an employer and find that most applicants for jobs are unemployed for a reason. This is not directed at any of the posters to this thread because I don't know any of you.

If you are continually getting knocked back for jobs, look at yourself - it is your problem, not everybody elses. Look at how you dress (in most cases conformity is the key), how you present yourself (take out your eyebrow rings etc) and your resume, how you talk and for gods sake learn how to spell! When you are talking to an interviewer speak confidently, be bright and pleasant. Don't crack jokes but when you meet somebody a smile and firm shake of the hand as you say "pleased to meet you" goes a long way. If anybody wants some tips from a guy on the other side of the desk feel free to pm me.

The biggest issues I find with employees is work attitude and reliability. These days I don't employ anybody who is living with the "folks" and prefer those who have to pay rent or a mortgage. Reason - they have to turn up to work. I have run businesses who employ an agregate of over 500 workers and those that turn up on time every day are by far the minority.

Next is work ethic. Ask 100 people and 100 will say they are great workers but less than 1/3 are when my back is turned for 5 min. Ever wondered why afternoon shift is only 2/3 as productive as day shift on average??? Most of my guys are "unskilled" and trained on the job. The stupid thing is that the top guys earn $1,200 per week by just doing their job however most are lucky to get $700 because they find reasons why they can't be at work etc.

Oh well - I won't be popular (again!) but there's my little rant for the day :bang:

Reaper
I'd have to agree with pretty much all you have described.

The other way I employ people here is on reference from current employees. If the current employee is a trusted and good worker then we would be more likely to hire them from recommendation instead of someone walking in off the street or through a formal application. Word of mouth can be suprisingly good sometimes. Word of warning though, resist working with members of family or housemates where you can. Loyalty can cause a few dramas especially if you would be working closely.

Last edited:

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Some good info from reaper and vystorm. I think the problem with some ppl is thay want alot of money for nothing an if thay dont like it thay quit. which leaves the ones that want the work a bad name. im lookn for work that i can learn from others and also be able to work as a team. nothin like tryn to do everything your self. work in a team and u will always be greatfull. like i have said id be happy with 450 in the hand if its more than its a bonus too me. its just tryn to get the job 1st lol.

Alot of employers expect ppl too be fully skilled which leave ppl like me who really want too learn but cant get the opportunity. plus its not about spelling an the way u speak thats crap. i cant spell very good, u dont need to have a pass in every class to get a job look at alot of the builders half of them didnt even go thro skool. im talkn the ones b4 our generation. :) like our dads n that.

But alot comes down to the employerr aswell as the employee. All i hate is when employers dont wonna give ya a go an think everybody is fully skilled rr :(

thats my 2 cents lol

cheers for reading :)

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
I understand where you guys are coming from couple of years ago I didn't have work and couldn't get work. I ended up doing a traineeship in IT. Studied hard and earnt 370/week and I know it sucks but after 11 months of the traineeship got offered my first it contract at 25/hour, don't get that much now because I got a full time job. Govt and private enterprise are always after trainees and apprentices (spelling?) I know the pay sucks at the start but if you get a trade you will never be without a job (unless the country goes into a recession). In QLD I hear about plumbers with major contracts booked up until a few years from now.

Tips for job searchers:

* Get someone to look at your resume
* Shave, get a suit from vinnies (cheap) Iron your shirt
* Be polite and respond positively to questions
* If you drive to a interview, wash your car
* Get registered with job agencies and apprentiship boards they get paid to hire you

just a few tips and keep your head up

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
minux said:
sixshooter, you seem very confident that just a diploma will get you a high paying job. No offence, but if you want high paying, you really need uni. Tafe only teaches you enough of the basics to get by. Why didnt you jst do something like A+ with MSCE? Loads of people looking for MSCE's and the pay is always good.

No offence but,
In the IT sector it is better to have vendor certification and experience than a degree from uni. I have worked with people when I was in retail who had completed IT degrees who couldn't find work. This is because you get paid more if you have done a degree but those jobs are few and far between.

Ask youself if you would hire someone who did well at uni but doesn't have any industry experience? Would just hand of your company to them?