Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unable to open car..?

ItsTheFlash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
My 99 VT wouldnt open the other day, brought a new key with hope of getting in and using new key. BUT, after trying evrything and having TWO Racv guys look at it, doors will not open. Tried everything bar smashing windows haha.

I was under the impression it could be the central locking module or B/VCM unit? But i was told i need to get INTO the car to have them checked,:bang:

So, in short what are my options? Call locksmith? Tow to mechanics and smash window to get in?

Cheers:bow:

Flash.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
so youve tried with the key manualy?

if not try the boot and open the seat up if ya can and climb in.. unlock a door from the inside

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
i thought that you could still unlock a VT with the key - even if there were no power going to the car.
the lock itself is mechanical, it shouldnt matter if the BCM (or whatever) is stuffed.
when you turn the key, a rod attached to the barrel is moved which unlocks the locking mechanism which is inside the striker - this is how it usually works.
i cant see a VT being any different.
i would say your barrel is stuffed or the plastic clip on the rod has broken off.
whats wrong with the old/original key anyway?

If you cant get in through the boot (dont know if its even possible - just a suggestion) then you might have to break out the wire coat hanger or packing strap.
you really dont want to break a window, not only is it a hassel to replace, youll never get all the fine fragments of glass out.

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Acouple weeks ago my central looking wasnt working, it would only unlock the drivers door, that happend because the battery was flat...

If you can open the boot then climb through the middle of the back seats and your done.

And you dont need to take to a mechanic to smash the window in.

nick3110

2.5" Catback
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
u should still be able to open the car with the key manually..

haha too bad if he had gas, he can't get in through the boot lol..

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Acouple weeks ago my central looking wasnt working, it would only unlock the drivers door, that happend because the battery was flat...

If you can open the boot then climb through the middle of the back seats and your done.

And you dont need to take to a mechanic to smash the window in.

haha id like to see him drive it to a mechanic to smash the window :p

ItsTheFlash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
The lock is not being opened by the key, its simply spining in the barrel.

Davway, ive tried to pop the lock in side, wouldnt budge. Tried to hit the micro switch, wouldnt open either.

Tried the boot, but cant open the middle seat to climb through.

The keys just shagged, buttonns stuffed etc so i brought a replacement because i only had one.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
If you have to smash a window , get the windscreen removed and climb through it would be a lot easier than trying to replace any of the other glass

cinndaz044

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v8 sv exec 044
sounds wierd i know but if i leave my key no1 on the counter it wont open the car

if i have the key in my pocket when im out etc it will work dont know if it has something to do with it heating up in my pocket but its been doing it since about 2007 and still does it now

key no 2 has no problems

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
ok so the key key spins in drivers door so that lock is stuffed but it did open the boot so the key is working did you try your passenger door with the key as you didnt mention it in any of your post also with the rear centre seat seaction from within the boot use a flat head screw driver to pry it downwards and press against the seat hard and it will pop open