Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unable to reattach spoiler

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Lumina, 2010 Calais V
Hi there,

I was having a particularly frustrating and exhausting day/night, couldn't be bothered washing the VZ, and instead decided to just take it through one of those dodgy automatic carwash places as everything else was closed. I figured unclipping the loom and undoing four nuts was easier than washing it myself.

So, i unclipped the loom, no problem. Undid the nuts on the driver's side, no problem. Undid the first nut on the passenger side, and the screw snapped off, and somehow found its way into the abyss of the spoiler. Tried using brake cleaner, a bit of wd40, and carefully removing the second one on that side - same thing happened.

Upon trying to remove the screws from the other side to check their size, they appeared to be fossilized to the spoiler, i can't seem to remove them, and it must have just been the nuts loosening while the screws didn't.

Anybody have any ideas for restoring legal lighting or finding the right size/length screws? To be honest, i don't mind the look without the spoiler. It's a bit closer to my VE now :p

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeh weather and heat / rain causes issues like that

Now why would you take a spoiler off for a car wash? They are pretty gentle these days

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've been paranoid ever since i saw my friend go through an automatic carwash in his supra, only to have it rip his spoiler off and smash the back window with it :p oddly enough, the biggest cost for him was the interior detailing afterwards.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Ouch

Suppose if wanted to can paint match a new spoiler or upgrade if ya wanted to.
Or keep as it is and plug up the holes in the boot.

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
I do quite like the look of it without the spoiler, and sealing the holes is easy enough with some silicone and moldable aluminium compound, however - my main concern in that case is how to make my rear lights legal again. It's a requirement to have 3 working brake lights, as far as i know, and without the spoiler i currently only have two.

I suppose i could remove the light bar from my spoiler and mount it inside the cabin, behind the rear window, but i'm not sure how to get around that section of the window being blacked out.

Edit: "That section of the window" being the same section where you'll find the centre brake light in the VE, at the top of the window.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Last edited:

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that! Will check it out once i'm done with work :)

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
HAHA, TAKE THE SPOLER OFF LOL, WOULD BE EASYER TO WASH THE CAR LOL

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
An informative response, gungazza. Much appreciated.

In reality, though, it was due to what i consider justified paranoia of potential damage to my car. There's no need for me to make the job "easier" when it's an automatic car wash :)