Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unable to start 2000 VT? Need a guru!

Devuk

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VT
Hello there everyone! :)

Thought I would give this forum a shot - as i have already paid for two separate call out Auto Electricians and the bill is just.. incredible. I have also regularly used this forum in the past for information i may have needed. Blimmen great community guys!

Basically my v6 3.8l 2000 VT cranks a few times when trying to start, and won't start. It was left sitting around for 4-5 months, and it hasn't been able to start since.

The fuel pump primes, We have replaced the BCM and programmed a new key, this allowed us to be able to unlock the doors and wind the windows up, it also gave us the red flashing light above "mode"

When you unimmobilize the car with the key, put the key in the ignition, and try to start the car, one of three things happens:

1) absolutely nothing
2) will start to turn over, ch ch ch then nothing, but sounded like it was so close
3) will slowly go chh.. ch... like a dead battery

(have to keep turning key off ignition fully, then all the way back to reds to attempt to start)

the battery is fully charged, have tried to smack the starter motor.

The auto sparkys told us it was the BCM and key. After what seemed like vigorous testing. In the whole 15 mins they looked over it before racking out the $150 bill!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
does the red mode light stop flashing
with key in ignition
for 30 seconds after pressing unlock on remote

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure that the battery terminals are clean and nice and tight. The same for the earth points on the car. In addition, check out the following items from the VT/VX Holden Service CD. They may assist in the fault determination process:

1. Should the engine crank briefly when the ignition switch is turned to the START position (ie. due to mis-aligned or a faulty remote coded key reader) then pressing the unlock button on the remote coded key will also disarm the theft deterrent system.
2. The theft deterrent system has a timed override function. The theft deterrent system can be overridden (disabled), as for example in the event of a remote coded key failure, by turning the ignition switch to the ON position for two hours. The theft deterrent alert indicator LED will go out once the system has been disabled and normal starting of the vehicle can take place.

ichiban

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commdore
If the LED is still flashing once you have ignition on with the right key and control module, then its definitely something got to do with your immobiliser.
My advice would be to hook up a scan tool and read the trouble code, then proceed from there.

Gmhqwn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
Same thing happened to me a few years ago and the only thing that worked was holding the unlock button while turning the key. Hope this helps

Devuk

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VT
Hi, thanks for the replies guys!

Yes the LED above mode stops flashing with the key turned to on, when the key is out, it flashes as it should.
When pressing the unlock button, the light will stop flashing.

If you're meaning that red flashing LED where the stereo is, then that stays flashing!

Will check the earths and terminals, and trying the 2 hour bypass, sadly Gmhqwn this did not work :(

Devuk

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VT
Okay so the 2 hour bypass didn't work, did notice something interesting though...

the little (smaller than above mode) red LED to the left of where the eject CD section of my radio is, is constantly flashing right.
When i put the key in and turn it to ON, this little red LED turns off.

When i try to start (remembering half the time nothing happens) this little LED will flash when nothing is happening as i have the key turned. So i switch all the way off, then back on to try again, ) but when it does go "ch ch ch ch" to try start, the LED stays off! until it fails to start, then the LED will flash again. Remember this is NOT the LED above mode !

I'm being driven insane :'(

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
First up check for fault codes (pdf how-to ere) http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vt-vx.23665/
then report back with what comes up...
other things to try is try starting neutral...remove all the plugs and with the car in neutral try turn the engine over by hand (clockwise direction looking towards the motor) should be reasonable easy to rotate with suitable socket and braker bar...
check the engine to chassis earth strap is in good condition and connected...

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd be looking at the ignition switch itself, the one that plugs onto the back of the barrel. Unplug it and spray some contact cleaner into it and try again. Either that or the starter motor is on it's way out and pulling too much current.

When a car sits idle for extended periods, things start to corrode and lose contact. Did you also put fresh fuel in it? How much fuel was in it when it was parked?

Devuk

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VT
First up check for fault codes (pdf how-to ere) http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vt-vx.23665/
then report back with what comes up...
other things to try is try starting neutral...remove all the plugs and with the car in neutral try turn the engine over by hand (clockwise direction looking towards the motor) should be reasonable easy to rotate with suitable socket and braker bar...
check the engine to chassis earth strap is in good condition and connected...

Okay so the codes coming up were just 1,2 . So standard operation :/
I will give the neutral start a go tomorrow mate, thank you.

I'd be looking at the ignition switch itself, the one that plugs onto the back of the barrel. Unplug it and spray some contact cleaner into it and try again. Either that or the starter motor is on it's way out and pulling too much current.
When a car sits idle for extended periods, things start to corrode and lose contact. Did you also put fresh fuel in it? How much fuel was in it when it was parked?

Hi there, played around with the ignition switch. Didn't do much, i would be thinking starter motor also, i did try to give it another hit with a hammer it doesn't make any difference..

The car had about quarter of a tank to be parked up with, and i have added about $10 in additional fresh fuel. The gauge is reading a few mm above quarter.

Really appreciate the help guys, would love if we managed to help anyone else in the process too :)