Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unbearable Drone!!!

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
i just installed a Manta 2.5 centre muffler + hotdogs + rear mufflers (whole sys right after the cats), stock cats n stock extractors. It is on my VF SS Wagon Auto.

it drones like crazy at pretty much any speed. The weird thing is, when i first start the car and drive, its ok (good note with no drone). after abt 3-5mins of normal driving, the drone kicks in. it drones from normal acceleration from a stand still to cruising speeds of 60,70,80,90. (approx 1500-2200rpm) anything above 2500rpm, the drones goes away.

when i shut the engine for 10-15mins, and start again (grab stuff from bunnings), the process repeats. good for the first 2-5mins, and thereafter its a torture.

Any one out there can help? Do i have to "run-in" the exhaust and hopefully this goes away? What can i do?

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Mate I have just done an exhaust on mine. Who fitted it. It may be touching the body and sending a vibration. It may do this after the exhaust heats up and expands. Which may account for no noise when its colder. I am in Perth south of the river and can have a listen if you want, then you can compare to mine. I dont have any noise I would consider drone. You do realise it will make a flat sound when it changes to 4CYL. Give me a PM.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
It could be the hot dogs and the fact your car is an auto

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Thanks Trewman.... what do u suggest then. Remove it n put a straight thru or put in something else?

Will hotdogs affect drone due to temperature?

Cuz i mainly experience it after the engine have warmed up from driving the first couple of mins.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Mate I have just done an exhaust on mine. Who fitted it. It may be touching the body and sending a vibration. It may do this after the exhaust heats up and expands. Which may account for no noise when its colder. I am in Perth south of the river and can have a listen if you want, then you can compare to mine. I dont have any noise I would consider drone. You do realise it will make a flat sound when it changes to 4CYL. Give me a PM.

Arron is probably bang on the money, if it drones after heating up it's likely to be contacting your body somewhere along its travels - get it checked. Manta systems are known not to drone, most likely a fitting error.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Thanks Trewman.... what do u suggest then. Remove it n put a straight thru or put in something else?

Will hotdogs affect drone due to temperature?

Cuz i mainly experience it after the engine have warmed up from driving the first couple of mins.

It depends how loud you want to go really and I'm no exhaust expert either but I know generally a system is designed not to drone as it's made at the manufacturer. A good quality system anyway. I've got a hm system on my car which has hot dog style mufflers which is loud as hell when it needs to be and you can't hear it at all when cruising on the freeway. My car is also a manual so cannot comment on auto vfs. A good experienced exhaust shop can point you in the right direction

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
no headers
auto
wagon
im assuming wrong muffler choice.

not ebing able to fix 2 of thoes factors try a different muffler setup (what did they use?)
headers + cats

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Fergo I had a manta cat back system installed to my wagon a couple of months ago. It has no centre mufflers though. I don't find that it drones really at all. I get a burbling rumble through the cab that I like which doesn't sound like what you describe. I think the noise in the wagons can be a little louder which is a trade off to fitting a decent exhaust so need to find a happy medium.
Maybe go back and have a chat with the exhaust shop to start with then take it elsewhere to get a second opinion so you don't start spending any more money just yet. Even get them to go for a drive with you and have a listen

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It could be hitting on something once it warms up. I've never had a Manta system with the front muffler and hotdogs drone. Check the plate that bolts to the floor under the system, the muffler can get close to it.

RedLineMike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Redline
If it is rubbing on something then so be it...but get some j pipes otherwise!!! My exhaust shop recons unless you turn off AFM/DOD you will get drone no matter what, Even Walkinshaw turn it off ! I got j pipes from rapid exhaust systems purely just for some more noise and they work a treat with no drone when AFM kicks in ect.