Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unbearable Drone!!!

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Appreciate all the suggestion n comments. Will definitely visit the exhaust shop sometime soon to get it sorted out. Im leaning more towards the fact that its rubbing against something. I can feel the car vibrating while cruising. To the point where by i can feel it through the throttle.

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
Appreciate all the suggestion n comments. Will definitely visit the exhaust shop sometime soon to get it sorted out. Im leaning more towards the fact that its rubbing against something. I can feel the car vibrating while cruising. To the point where by i can feel it through the throttle.

That's how mine was, the exhaust flange was hard up against the sway bar support. All fixed.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN

Mate that was like a week ago. Just jump under and fix it.

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Just had it checked at the exhaust shop. The fitment was perfect. More than enough clearance all round. Nothing was rubbing. I guess J pipes are my next option. Anywhere in WA to recommend? The shop that fitted my exhaust had no clue wat j pipes are

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Ah, so in your opinion Manta twin 2.5 drones and vibrates. Glad I didnt get one of those then.

No not really. I still think you have a fitment issue. My offer still stands to have a listen and take a look.

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
I think i need to meet up with u soon....

cgbvfssvute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ssv ute m6
hey all, first post. i know there is a lot of differing opinions out there, and many threads, but looking a putting a 3inch cat back system on my new vf ssv 6m and want to know if cat back in 3inch stainless is to big and loud to live with every day. want 3 inch as have plans down the track for cai, extractors, cats, cam and tune. should i just get a 2.5 mild say xforce for a start then upgrade when the real mods star or spend now and save later. i start the car at 6am every morning to go to work and have small children. im on the northern beaches of sydney and would also appreciate shop references.
thanks

Hypnerotomachia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I have the Walkinshaw (DiFilippo) 3 inch exhaust, but I also have extractors, intake etc. It certainly is loud, but I'm really happy with it. I have kids and the little one still sleeps with the sound of the car :)

Because it is the 3" it sounds deeper than the 2.5.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
I have the Walkinshaw (DiFilippo) 3 inch exhaust, but I also have extractors, intake etc. It certainly is loud, but I'm really happy with it. I have kids and the little one still sleeps with the sound of the car :)

Because it is the 3" it sounds deeper than the 2.5.

Is yours auto or manual? Any drone?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Almost everyone will say 3" is louder, deeper (which may not be the case).
What hasn't been said is that dual 3" catback with stock headers and cats is really not going to sound that good, and the performance benefit is infinitesimal. With proper headers it is retrograde versus 2.5" in terms of velocity due to pressure drop when volumetric flow is less than 310rwkw on a 6.0. It is worth noting you can't get near that volumetric flow without a cam or Clayton's cam (high ratio rockers), full bolt-ons and dyno tune using high octane. The main casualty is torque - exactly what your two tonne tank needs to launch. Common mistake people make is going 4-1 plus big duration which typically exacerbates the situation unless you are circuit racing your Holden.
So on a 6.0 3" is all for show, not go. 6.2 is obviously slightly different.
Problem with most exhaust videos is that the sound is poor, not same car or environment so take a look at a sound comparison with incremental changes to a 2.5" catback. Most of the presence will go unnoticed unless you turn up with headphones or system with sub BtW.
See there's quite a bit to it apart from signing up to less performance coz loud and deep all the time.
Depends what you want in terms of race pitch, idle burble, static rev-up, partial throttle (drone) issues, zero tolerance cabin noise, scare the crows or full bore all the time. Have a listen to this 2.5" burble on idle at the end - deep and horny:

[video=youtube_share;iAqNOVsxzNo]http://youtu.be/iAqNOVsxzNo[/video]

Cue to halfway in this one to realize the difference in-cabin with bi-modal drone control, also puts the slight extractor rasp on static rev-up in perspective:

[video=youtube_share;YfXNfkghTn0]http://youtu.be/YfXNfkghTn0[/video]

PS exhaust cackle / crackle / pop / fart is adjustable in your tune, not the exhaust.

Last edited: