Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uncomfortable seats in my 2014 Calais V

JeffB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
Hi guys,

I bought a 2014 Calais V at the end of 2016 after upgrading from my VZ that ive cherished for 10 years & for the life of me I dont know why i cant sit comfortably in the new Calais. I hate to admit it, but the VZ is actually more comfortable!

My questions are:

1. Does anyone else feel this way or have heard this complaint before: and
2. What can I do about it? Guy at the service centre at the dealer said I could get a factored fitted new seats but they'd be pretty much the same as what you've got (car's only got 43k on the clock);
3. If I wanted to go after market, what's the advice here? Good idea or not, best option for comfort.

Also, i've tried moving the seat a million different ways and lumbar support & saved three different memory settings to try and find a position but all the time im thinking there's no way i could spend more than 30 mins driving in this car!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps,
Jeff

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Is it an ex police car ?
They have harsh seats.
Wife actually suffered sciatica until I changed the VZ seats from police to standard.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
When I had my CalaisV it took me several months to get comfortable. I found that if you lower the seat completely then lift the front of the seat only, then adjust the backrest and lumbar, you will find some comfort.
It is hard though because the mechanism is completely different to the VY/VZ one. I had a VY SS and a VZ Clubsport and they both had excellent seats, better than the VE and VF in my opinion.
I also bought the Holden lambs wool seat inserts that helped. They are pricey at $450 though and the actual reason I bought them was to protect the cream suede on the seat.

JeffB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
Thanks heaps for the responses. I don't think its ex-police car as they're the same look as a few other cars I looked at before buying this one. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it, but in the VZ you sort of sink into the seat and they seem more contoured and cushioned rather than being rigid and slippery because of the leather. I just find myself hunching forward and squirming around a lot and just not relaxed.

I'll take the advice above and lower the seat and lift the front only and see how we go.... The Calais V has heated seats so you're not meant to use any covers, but I might have to consider that as an option and just don't use turn them on.

So, no one has replaced seats or thinks this is a good option? I realise I'd lose the functions if I replace with after market seats, but I really do want to enjoy driving this car.

Thanks again,
Jeff.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
I find the seat not as comfortable in vf calais, compare to my vz adventra.
They not as soft, or supportive as vz was, has taken a few months to get seat position to were I feel comfortable.
Thank goodness for memory seat, one of many reasons I bought the calais, was great in adventra I had.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
agree the VF seat is average, love my VE SS seats more

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Leather is never as comfy as fabric. Bit I love the seats in my S1 Redline. Very supportive.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
To the OP, I'm not sue you could replace the seats due to the side aurbags.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks heaps for the responses. I don't think its ex-police car as they're the same look as a few other cars I looked at before buying this one. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it, but in the VZ you sort of sink into the seat and they seem more contoured and cushioned rather than being rigid and slippery because of the leather. I just find myself hunching forward and squirming around a lot and just not relaxed.

I'll take the advice above and lower the seat and lift the front only and see how we go.... The Calais V has heated seats so you're not meant to use any covers, but I might have to consider that as an option and just don't use turn them on.

So, no one has replaced seats or thinks this is a good option? I realise I'd lose the functions if I replace with after market seats, but I really do want to enjoy driving this car.

Thanks again,
Jeff.

I could not tell the difference between VZ police seats and VZ stock just by looking, they look exactly the same, but boy, are they different to sit in.
Check the history of the car and make sure it was never police owned.