Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Under hood cleaning

nickkp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VS S2 Ute, VN HSV+6
hey guys,

been trying for a while now to clean under the hood of my Vn, used degreasers, car wash, scrubbing everything, but so far nothing works and I'm always left with these dirt marks and spots all over it (pics below). Also this was my grandpas car and has not been washed for 20 years. Does anyone know what it is and how to clean it properly?

IMG_5754.jpgIMG_5757.jpg

cheers everyone

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Likely being acrylic paint, it'll need to be repainted. It doesn't deal too well with chemicals like oil and fuel and a lot of heat.

You could try polishing it though. It would be easier to pull the bonnet off and flip it over if you're going to do that. Only takes a couple of minutes with a second person

nickkp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VS S2 Ute, VN HSV+6
thanks mate, any idea how i should go about polishing it though? There's dirt still on it and cant seem to get it off..

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
try get some cut and polish and polish it. Go to a local auto paint store they might be able to tell you a good type of polish to use

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
yeah id say before repainting it try some cutters on soft flannelette rags, just hand polish it like that see if the spots come out. i made the mistake of using citrus cleaner on a door jamb few years back, burnt the 1k paint like that.