Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Underbody Aero Panels

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I just found the real function for the under sump tray. When I removed it to change the oil, I found the scrivets I dropped and lost from the cabin filter changeout were sitting on the tray, waiting for me. This was after I bought new ones, of course.
Very helpful of Holden, but I wish they had covered this function more thoroughly in the owner's manual. Perhaps Skylarking has read this part of the documentation and could provide an opinion.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, the manual says that if you’re clumsy you shouldn’t t work on your car :p

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Yeah, the manual says that if you’re clumsy you shouldn’t t work on your car :p
Or take it to a Holden service centre and let them get a skilled and careful mechanic practice on your car.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I suppose with the thread from @Ron Burgundy (https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/damaged-engine-drive-belt.273493/#post-2990871) regarding his broken engine drive belt puts this issue forward once more especially regarding the sump guard, if debris is so easily flicked upward into the engine, causing damage.

@tml678 posted a photo in the same thread regarding the VF SS police cars (did I get this right?) having the sump guard fitted. Done some research and it seems the acoustic cover on top of the engine must be removed for the sump guard to be fitted.

A friend’s E3 has the sump guard fitted to his vehicle, which is equipped with the LS3. Perhaps the fitting of all aero panels under the car is overkill (and referring to previous comments about this feature not being tested by Holden so it’s not recommended we do this) however if we got a sump guard from the scrapyard from a VF Evoke or Calais, plus bolts, I guess we can say it is safe to apply to LS3 models as a form of protection for the engine (and scrivet holder for the cabin air filter!)?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
:(

But then the E3 does have the LS3 :D:p

It does..but I don't follow how that is relevant to my post about an evoke police car......??

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
My E3 doesn't have an underbody sump guard... But it does have a sweet LS3!

AAAC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Motorsport
The acoustic cover is sound insulation applied to the upper surface of the sump guard. It was used on some v6 models but had to be removed for the v8. The sump guard that I bought did not have it so nothing to remove.

Last edited:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
It does..but I don't follow how that is relevant to my post about an evoke police car......??

No I thought your post in the other thread was a SS police car - my thoughts were still regarding heat dissipation which would be more important for the LS3 vs the Evoke / Sv6. Sorry I should have been more clear mate!!

The acoustic cover was sound insulation applied to the upper surface of the sump guard. It was used on some v6 models but had to be removed for the v8. The sump guard that I bought did not have it so nothing to remove.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)