Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Underbody Aero Panels

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Holden told me that the LS3 V8, needs substantial cooling upgrades compared to the 6.0 litre, for instance the opening in the front bar is larger, bonnet vents, and lack of engine shielding.
Nah, thermal efficiency of 6.2 engine vs 6.0 (without AFM mode) is marginally better mainly due to cam profile. Swap cams and same same, hardly measurable: The much advertised material difference in bore size is (if you break THAT fundamental difference down) a mozzy’s old fella closer to ideal and raises CR a smidge. So indicated thermal efficiency Stock 6.2 vs 6.0 before AFM is inconsequential but LS3 is better, not worse.
In other words that jive was sales-speak, bumper revision has everything to do with latest coloured Asics, man-buns and auto-fashion, nothing to do with less thermal efficiency. This is evidenced by specific consumption of 6.2 being marginally less (excluding AFM operation).
Bonnet and side vents are a spin off from the 1LE program for Camaro which at its core is about stability not entropy. Worth noting 1LE has more underbody.
Front undertray was present on earlier Zeta LS3, retained in the US, dropped on VF through cost saving, like the rest of the infill panels. Worth noting these cost savings meant VF was significantly cheaper than VEII, meant introducing the consolidated GM 6.2 donk was “free”, previously sold at a premium on G8 back in 2008.
FWIW I would buy these bits and all infill ASAP as is gonna be incredible and complicated to explain why some models didn’t get the full dress in years to come when these bits are rare as hens teeth.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am thinking of sorting out sump guard first and the source other bits second hand

I find it humourous when online publications rant on about functional bonnet vents...
Yes they are functional compared to stick on autobarn 'vents' but if you look closely the size of the opening inside the bonnet is negligible....truly negligible....

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
I am thinking of sorting out sump guard first and the source other bits second hand

I find it humourous when online publications rant on about functional bonnet vents...
Yes they are functional compared to stick on autobarn 'vents' but if you look closely the size of the opening inside the bonnet is negligible....truly negligible....
This maybe true, however only a few weeks ago, while driving in quite cool weather, after it had rained, low cloud no sun, twin columns of steam were coming out of my bonnet vents, like nostrils that, was definitely cool lol

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Possibly some Engineer has sat down and calculated velocities, coefficients, volumes under pressure and all sorts of little engineering nit bits and determined that is all that’s required, particularly when much of the heat would also be expelled under the vehicle.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Possibly some Engineer has sat down and calculated velocities, coefficients, volumes under pressure and all sorts of little engineering nit bits and determined that is all that’s required, particularly when much of the heat would also be expelled under the vehicle.

My thought was around keeping them as small as possible to prevent huge amount of water entering the engine bay...
If you look at under bonet rubber part attached to the vents ...it is clear that the primary purpose is to prevent the water from coming in rather than letting the air out

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
My thought was around keeping them as small as possible to prevent huge amount of water entering the engine bay...
If you look at under bonet rubber part attached to the vents ...it is clear that the primary purpose is to prevent the water from coming in rather than letting the air out

If the primary purpose of the vents is to prevent water from coming in rather than letting air out, where does the water that enters the vents go?
Now much water would enter a moving vehicle or are you only talking about water getting in while the vehicle is parked?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
So perhaps the underbody aero and its proven benefits were left off as an improvement to let the heat out and promote airflow underneath, and the hood vents although appear token are precisely engineered?
From what I've read re Camaro aero development of Zeta and watched on kyle.engineers the vent openings are too small underneath. Given the elaborate ZL1 hood drainage, and functional ram air issues with G8 hood, the problem restricting functional hood vents is warranting an engine bay that has dramatically increased water ingress.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The opening is 45mm long and 8mm wide...
How EFFICIENTLY will this let the hot air escape given all other places where the air can escape from...?
The gaps between the bonnet and guards are at least 20 times more efficient in letting the air out...
By definition....yes they are functional...but practically their efficiency is negligible..

Attachments

• 20171028_075502.jpg
    20171028_075502.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 20171028_075439.jpg
    20171028_075439.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 290

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Despite the vents orientation. I actually thought they were designed as much to push cold air in at high speed, as to let hot air, that has risen to a high point out, at low speeds, or when stationery. Haven't really looked at them closely TBH though.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Despite the vents orientation. I actually thought they were designed as much to push cold air in at high speed, as to let hot air, that has risen to a high point out, at low speeds, or when stationery. Haven't really looked at them closely TBH though.

The openings in the front bar are huge...the amount of cold air coming in through the vents again would be insignificant. I reckon they were primarily put on for aesthetic reason..

Last edited: