Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Underbody Aero Panels

M

mwb235

I think it was only V6’s on VE2 and VF1. Like others have said, V8’s didn’t have them due to supposed overheating etc, then deleted on all models for VF2.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Cheers all
I figure the overheating issue would be from the sump gaurd under the engine?
I’m more interested in the side panels dose anyone know if the part numbers are still the same as on the 1st page??

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
sump panel should help cooling, it stops some tumbling and helps pull air from behind the engine as it goes under the vehicle

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
So where dose the over heating on v8’s come from??

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
poor coolant flow around the rear cylinders, im doing a boost build at the moment and im adding steam vents to the rear of the heads to help with hot spots, rear vents are usually blocked of and only fronts used so put rears in and tap into fronts and any air bubbles/hot spots get pushed into the radiator out of the heads

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I got the aero panels under my V6 Calais V MY17.

It would be ideal for someone who has a LS3 Calais (or Director!) to check under their car if it has the aero panels fitted like the V6 version. Because if it does, then it means the aero panels don’t have anything to do with heat dispersion issues.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I think the underbody panels were more to do with fuel consumption. They wanted the V6 to get better fuel economy which it did by making it aero dynamic. Later deleted in later models.

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Had these panels on a V6 wagon. If it helps I now have a VF2 LS3 - I was told in 2016 that a Holden engineer said the reasoning behind why underbody panels were not on my VF2 Calais Wagon was that they were only approved for use on the V6's - (assume the early Government funding re requiring economy improvements had expired or didn't apply to a thirsty V8). Holden warned me not to fit to my V8 as 'not tested or approved' (and they would make little economy improvement, unknown air flows) and no further reasoning was provided. Assume could also become a warranty issue if airflow restriction could be challenged by GMH.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, I’d be interested what is under a Director as my MSE does not have the sump, side and rear aero kit (so no fuel consumption improvements :p).

Yet I have a silly battery charge system to reduce alternator load and improve fuel economy of my 6.3 ltr V8 - ok i confess I didn’t believe it when I was told this :rolleyes: