Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Underbody Aero Panels

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm no expert but I believe the rear diffuser is the most critical part as getting the air out from under the back of the car is what creates the down force or rather suction.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
downforce without drag is impossible, that's just physics. changing the flow in and under will reduce drag and have the opposite effect.

here's an article that sums it all up nicely.

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/aero/ai...ases-lap-times-and-isnt-that-the-whole-point/

these panels you are all looking at I can't see that they'd do much of anything unless they are in fact reducing drag by increasing flow, which in turn will theoretically reduce grip and also improve economy. I don't think i'd bother with them myself unless part of an overall change to the aero of the car. so you'd probably want a wing that can give you some downforce back and maybe a front splitter as well.
ive never said that we are getting this downforce for nothing there is always drag but the gain to loss ratio is better if u just do the underneath and nothing alse read my link in post #202 its not always a 1:1 ratio, if u add a splitter or wing then u will get way more drag to any gains achieved, for street use i wouldnt bother but ive felt the difference above 150kph much more stable

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Was watching a video of a C7 corvette in a wind tunnel, they have lot of under-body panels and they still create lift at high speeds.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
So a year on from this conversation. How did everyone go with the LS3 and the aero panels.?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
So a year on from this conversation. How did everyone go with the LS3 and the aero panels.?

i'm still laughing.

ground effect from some underbody panels was my favourite part.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

All their LS3s exploded due to overheating engine bays?
I know my car is pumping out some serious heat after a drive.

Whole discussion reminds me of this car modding trend
images

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
i'm still laughing.

ground effect from some underbody panels was my favourite part.
I am a real fan of the full flat floor with rear deffuser it will give you measured down force with a measured decrease in drag ( not no drag ) at 100 kph . You tube Julian Edgar modifying the aerodynamics of your street car , he makes his aero panels then tests by measuring air pressures and suspension height and fixed throttle speed tests , He does this on the road not wind tunnel or computer simulation his is real life testing . I find his videos really interesting and has opened my eyes to what works and why