Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Undoing Wheel Nuts

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
On the weekend, I used a Milwalkee 18V impact driver to undo the bolts on a diff crown wheel....Undid them with full charge in the battery.

Your choice if you buy 1 for wheel nuts and other uses, but once you have one, you seem to find a million uses for them
pics or it didn't happen.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
pics or it didn't happen.

Looks like it didn't happen then, because it was on the weekend....I don't take pictures of every little thing I do and don't expect to have to post pictures of every little thing I do...Or in other words....I get the job done as quick as possible and move onto the next job, which in my case over the weekend was raising a VK Commodore....Needs pics of that too....Won't be happening

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What bit did you use in the end of the rattler? I'm surprised that something with a 4mm shaft at the thin part would be strong enough to undo a bolt with 120lb torque. I use rattlers for hours each week and have used Milwaukee ones and it drove in 100mm bugals into bearers and piers but it certainly didnt do it with ease as i didn't drill a pilot hole. I had to stop after the second one because it was getting too hot.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
BTW i should have been clearer i was more wanting to see a pic of your rattler, to see if we are talking about the same tool.

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
What bit did you use in the end of the rattler? I'm surprised that something with a 4mm shaft at the thin part would be strong enough to undo a bolt with 120lb torque. I use rattlers for hours each week and have used Milwaukee ones and it drove in 100mm bugals into bearers and piers but it certainly didnt do it with ease as i didn't drill a pilot hole. I had to stop after the second one because it was getting too hot.

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Thanks for info, I already have a breaker bar plus and a torque wrench.
I just like the idea of taking them off without all that winding on and off( First world problem I know) .
Have done it the old way for years just want to make life easier in these my golden years .... lol

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thanks for info, I already have a breaker bar plus and a torque wrench.
I just like the idea of taking them off without all that winding on and off( First world problem I know) .
Have done it the old way for years just want to make life easier in these my golden years .... lol
Why not make life easier.
I`m glad you posted it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Just used the socket on the end....It did get a little hot undoing the bolts, but a cool down break between bolts and away it went. IMA, I did give the bolt heads a tap with the hammer, prior to hitting it with the rattler

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I use this https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2763-22

I got sick of taking wheels off/on when doing other jobs. Piss easy to do a set of wheels with the Milwaukee impact gun. Mind you I still use a torque wrench to do the final torque setting on the nuts.

I now have M18 1/2" rattler, 1/4" rattler, drill and 4" grinder and M12 3/8" ratchet. Gosh life is so much easier....