Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uneven power through rev range

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Since I've owned my V6 VS commodore it has not liked being driven hard at all. This isnt much of a problem because I drive it like a grandma in order to preserve tyres etc. However, it has an annoying problem that occurs when accelerating; it almost feels like what happens when you hit the power band on a two stroke motocross bike.

When I accelerate through the gears, the car feels gutless if I put my foot down until it gets to a certain RPM, then it feels like an extra cylinder decides to start firing. It is that noticable that it makes your body move with the sudden power hit. I recently replaced my coil package because a terminal was rusted and it was misfiring but this strange problem is still occurring. It occurs more in 2nd and 3rd gear.

The A/C condenser has been removed from the front of the car and my running temperature always reads very cold (barely off the bottom of the gauge) even though I've changed the thermostat 3 times. So I'm not sure if this problem could be due to the car running cold or if that is just a faulty temperature reading. And if I do ever drive my car even remotely hard, when I stop it gives off that burning engine smell. Not sure if this detail helps but I'm just trying to explain in as much detail as possible.

The car runs smooth and doesnt sound like it is misfiring prior to this sudden hit of power. I was just wondering what this problem is, and if it is fixable, or if it is just one of those things that happens due to the engine being so old.

Thanks for your help!

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Have you tried a code check?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
If he has the same problem as I do a code check won't show up anything, but it's best to try that first.

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Yeah I tried one ages ago and it came up with "air flow sensor" and "canister purge solenoid". Not sure if I fixed those problems, but I fixed a dodgy wiring problem to the air flow sensor and havent had any engine lights since.

TI3VOM, does your problem sound the same as mine? Have you tried to fix it?

Thanks guys.

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I changed my spark plugs and fuel filter about 6 months ago. Spark plugs probably didnt need changing and the fuel filter was pretty clean. Only filter I havent changed is the air filter and it looks clean.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I have no idea what it is, I replaced my fuel filter less than 3 months ago yet it was still doing it after I changed it. My spark plug leads and coils are brand new, my spark plugs are about 1 year old but and iridium but it still did it after the spark plug change as well.

Which lets me think there are maybe only things like an: Air leak somewhere, fuel pump is doing something wrong, maybe the injectors somehow.

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Yeah it seems to be one of those things that could be anything. It would just be nice to drive a car that feels like it wants to be driven haha.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Do you have a 2 1/2" exhaust on it?