Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uneven rear tyre wear

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
A work colleage of mine was having a problem with the left rear tyre wearing on the outside. After some reluctant action by the dealer he said they adjusted some 'P bracket'. I admit I know nothing mechanically about the VE but am curious if someone can shed some light on the setup of the VE's rear susspension.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
cant say i know of a p bracket but i have heard that the alignment on reaer was out from factory on a lot of ve's

ESS364

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks for the heads up....My VE SS at 3000K's seems ok but I am watching it closely. According to the specs it has full camber and toe-in adjustment so probably an alignment will fix it if it is wrong. I had a VX SS Series 1 before this that had no adjustment and it wore out the inside of 3 sets of rears (235/45x17s) after 15,000 - 20,000ks. Tried a 2 point camber kit then off-set bushes from Pedders that still didn't fix it so I finally gave up and changed up to VE. I hope it does not have a similar issue otherwise I won't so passive.

A friend has a VE SV6 and he only got 20,000 from his rears but he wrecked them on a trip from Melb to Sydney and back running very low pressures.

Given my old VT got 100,000 each from 2 sets of RE92's so I am hoping for something better from 245/45x18s on the VE SS.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If in doubt about your front or rear wheel alignment, take it to your nearest (reputable) wheel aligner. Cost me about $40 and well worth it to have everything cheked. Took mine at about 1,000 from new and found both f & r were out. Best money ever spent.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Thanks for the heads up....My VE SS at 3000K's seems ok but I am watching it closely. According to the specs it has full camber and toe-in adjustment so probably an alignment will fix it if it is wrong. I had a VX SS Series 1 before this that had no adjustment and it wore out the inside of 3 sets of rears (235/45x17s) after 15,000 - 20,000ks. Tried a 2 point camber kit then off-set bushes from Pedders that still didn't fix it so I finally gave up and changed up to VE. I hope it does not have a similar issue otherwise I won't so passive.

A friend has a VE SV6 and he only got 20,000 from his rears but he wrecked them on a trip from Melb to Sydney and back running very low pressures.

Given my old VT got 100,000 each from 2 sets of RE92's so I am hoping for something better from 245/45x18s on the VE SS.

you shouldnt have many issues with the rear suspension in the ve's, its a completly different setup to the 'contol-link' setup in the vt-vx and vy-vz,

my vz wagons wears perfectly on the rear,

for the amount it costs for an alignment id just get it done,

monaro308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6s1
There are/were issues with the rear ends in the VE.
The "p" brackets are located at the upper top rear control arm pivot.
The bracket holes are elongated to aid assembly by the supplier to Holden and from memory the "p" brackets are assembled with the brackets inwards.
Alignment settings are have all been spot on but when the suspension moves on compression and rebound,the rear wheels were toeing in and out too much and causing tyre wear.
Jacking up the car and loosening the 2 bolts holding the "p" brackets and moving them
outwards then resetting the alignment has fixed the excessive toe change.
This is for cars that have been wearing tyres fairly quickly.

bowlerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais Inter
VE Camber

i have a funny one
today i put on 20s on my new VE
pic included
i put 20x10 on rear,after fitting they bought the car around the front of the factoryu after fitting,i looked and noticed the left rear was sitting out about 1 cm wider than right?????????????????????
i asked them to look and the confirmed that infact the cambers were different.i did not notice this with the standard rims on.as well the rubber was rubbing on the inner gaurd,we put it back on alingment hoist to adjust the camber.well guess what .there is no adjustment.
so off i went to panel beater and had the gaurds rolled.guy did great job and paid for by OZZY without asking.
and i have to thank them for the way they do business.they told me to bring car back if i was unhappy or the rubber rubbed with others in car.these wheels are horn.althought for other VE owners go for the 20x9.5 for hassle free wheels
here is a pic
cheers paul

Attachments

• dynamat liner 034.JPE
    dynamat liner 034.JPE
    29.1 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
.... i asked them to look and the confirmed that infact the cambers were different.i did not notice this with the standard rims on.as well the rubber was rubbing on the inner gaurd,we put it back on alingment hoist to adjust the camber.well guess what .there is no adjustment.
so off i went to panel beater and had the gaurds rolled.guy did great job and paid for by OZZY without asking....

So they rolled the guards but that doesn't solve your camber problem.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
I've noticed this at work ( im a fitter/aligner ) lots of VE's are coming in with their rear tyres shagged but their fronts are in good nick still, apparantly Holden arn't aligning the cars properly from factory ( also because tyres arn't rotated until their bald )