Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uneven rear tyre wear

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
Jason I do wheel alignements for Holden (I do not work for them)

The actual cause of premature rear tyre wear on VE's is agressive rear bump / ride steer (toe change during suspension compression/ rebound) has been found to cause tyre wear.

The P brackets are a pain in the arse to adjust.
You have to remove the exhaust assembly from the catalytic converters backward. The 02 sensors will need to be disconected. After the exhaust is removed the muffler heat sheild/s to be removed. All this to get to the P bracket lol fun isn't it :)

To actually adjust the P bracket is to loosen two bolts 1 turn and then with a tyre lever/pry bar move the P bracket outbound as far as possible. Retighten with a torque wrench to 150Nm and refit the exhaust.

Any normal tyre shops wont even attempt this so you better go back to Holden.

Last edited:

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Jason I do wheel alignements for Holden (I do not work for them)

The actual cause of premature rear tyre wear on VE's is agressive rear bump / ride steer (toe change during suspension compression/ rebound) has been found to cause tyre wear.

The P brackets are a pain in the arse to adjust.
You have to remove the exhaust assembly from the catalytic converters backward. The 02 sensors will need to be disconected. After the exhaust is removed the muffler heat sheild/s to be removed. All this to get to the P bracket lol fun isn't it :)

To actually adjust the P bracket is to loosen two bolts 1 turn and then with a tyre lever/pry bar move the P bracket outbound as far as possible. Retighten with a torque wrench to 150Nm and refit the exhaust.

Any normal tyre shops wont even attempt this so you better go back to Holden.

Sounds like a bitch to do, ive never aligned a VE because i don't align at bridgestone and at BJ's the VE wasn't out yet.

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
You can tell your wheel aligner that if he doesn't know then

If the rear specs are fine like 1 degree negative camber and 0 - 0.5mm toe in (factory specs from Holden) and the outside of the tyre is scrubbed out tell the customer to send it back to Holden to get the P bracket adjusted.

Holden cant design IRS for crap :)

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
ill tell Kev that, cheers allan!

monaro308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6s1
There are/were issues with the rear ends in the VE.
The "p" brackets are located at the upper top rear control arm pivot.
The bracket holes are elongated to aid assembly by the supplier to Holden and from memory the "p" brackets are assembled with the brackets inwards.
Alignment settings are have all been spot on but when the suspension moves on compression and rebound,the rear wheels were toeing in and out too much and causing tyre wear.
Jacking up the car and loosening the 2 bolts holding the "p" brackets and moving them
outwards then resetting the alignment has fixed the excessive toe change.
This is for cars that have been wearing tyres fairly quickly.

Like i said.......

Hey bowlerr i dont know what your aligner was looking at as there certainly is camber adjusment in the rear.
The lastest VE has deleted the front camber adjusting bolts which is silly and the rear toe adjustment has/had a turn buckle type adjustment which will/is now a dog bone type arm.

DR-JEKL

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Calais Sportswagon V Line
My 09 VE Calais wagon is wearing the outer tread blocks. They're bald, and the centre of the tread still has a mm or so above the wear marks. I realise that I'm due for new tyres anyway, but when I have some new Bridgey's fitted I want to ensure that the alignment is OK.

Is this P bracket the reason why I'm wearing the rears out? (I've had a VT wagon which wore the inner tread blocks, but never the outer tread blocks!!)

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
My 09 VE Calais wagon is wearing the outer tread blocks. They're bald, and the centre of the tread still has a mm or so above the wear marks. I realise that I'm due for new tyres anyway, but when I have some new Bridgey's fitted I want to ensure that the alignment is OK.

Is this P bracket the reason why I'm wearing the rears out? (I've had a VT wagon which wore the inner tread blocks, but never the outer tread blocks!!)

Hmmm im having the same issue on my 07 VE SSV.

DR-JEKL

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Calais Sportswagon V Line
Hmmm im having the same issue on my 07 VE SSV.

Had the alignment checked 12 months ago and they said it was fine. So it makes sense that static (when the aligment was done) the alignment may be OK and that under load there is excessive toe hence the unusual tyre wear (my calais has 18" 245/45)

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
The VE Commodore has alignment adjustments on the rear end. This includes camber and toe. If either of the rear wheels are wearing on the outside, this is indicative of too much toe in! in other words, the wheel/s is/are steering inwards excessively. Toe has a bigger influence on tyre wear than other alignment adjustments, such as camber

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
This is interesting. same prob here 06 VE SS wearing rear tyres on outside. First thing i did after getting it, had the tyres aligned. They said it was spot on and took my $50. I put news on the front and fronts on back as backs were worn out mostly on inside. I now find the rear wearing out again on the outer, predominantly the left tyre. Funny also there is a groaning/creaking sound from the back and worse from the left. So...to the OrigPoster I have the same problem.