Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
hey so this morning as I turned into work my car started whining like a kettle, since then it will start doing it as soon as i got into 2nd or 3rd (T5) does not do it idling, still makes sound with clutch in and rolling in neutral, shifts ok, noticed it happens when its given load, when i slow down the sound slows to a disturbing scraping sound, when i speed up it gets to a certain pitch and stay and not get louder the faster u go, i drove it before just shifting early and like a granny and was fine till I slapped it in neutral and rolled to a round about then as soon as i braked it started going again, should note that I had to redo my tailshaft cv and centre bearing last week as a result of dodgy spring installs, big question is, is it my t5 dying ahhaha, also keep looking coolant, undid the bleeder and all that came out was steam, and brown steam

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I guess in this case it can only be gear box or differential related. Your ears should be able to tell you from where the noise is emanating from and then that will point you in the right direction.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Are you sure it's coming from the gearbox and not the passenger seat ???

If it is the gearbox, it sounds like a bearing has failed. Drain the oil, put it through a clean white rag and look for metal particles.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I had a sound like that once. Then the mrs got out and all was quiet. Just sayin.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Start with a fluid check as mentioned above.

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
Start with a fluid check as mentioned above.
Its all good guys, I looked at my tailshaft and put tape on the tailshaft shaft between the cv and center bearing to stop the centre cap moving, i undid that and it stopped

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So was it a stuffed centre bearing? If replacing it go Gen. The aftermarket ones are junk, ask me how I know.... It's only $65 roughly for the Gen one anyway.

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
So was it a stuffed centre bearing? If replacing it go Gen. The aftermarket ones are junk, ask me how I know.... It's only $65 roughly for the Gen one anyway.
Nah its a week old hence the electrical tape