Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Unichip and tune thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by Vees, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Vees

Vees Member

Members Ride:
    VX Storm Ute
    Hi JC Forums,

I received a quote on a tune for $1,699 for a Unichip and tune. I was told it will make 10-15% gains in power and torque.

I want to know what 10-15% means though, when someone tells you that would you have an idea what kind of kW and Nm that produces?
    Also does this quote on this tune sound about right? (It does to me, just wondering if maybe there are other things out there)

Thanks,

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  2. wraith

wraith Hand over the dog bikkies

Members Ride:
    VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
    Absolute ripoff. A proper dyno tune by a decent tuning company will only be around $1000.

3. Vees

Vees Member

Members Ride:
    VX Storm Ute
    Had a feeling it might be a lite bit too much. What company do you recommenced?

4. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    If it's a stock ecotec, I personally wouldn't bother making any changes. If you're really keen though, speak to the1 on here about a generic mail order tune.

For that sort of money, you could buy a complete car with an l67 and do a transplant for much more gain, and potential.

5. wraith

Members Ride:
    What's done to it for a start? Being a V6 cost vs gain isn't very good. You could contact a guy by the name of The1 on here. He did the tune in my VX V6 to get the most benefit of running 98 octane fuel. Works alright.

6. Vees

Vees Member

Members Ride:
    VX Storm Ute
    It has a catback and extractors so far. At this point I'm just considering my options, I'm probably better off leaving it and do some serious tuning on something else in the future. But at the same time I wan't to make the most of it's potential.

7. wraith

Members Ride:
    The1's tunes are pretty cheap. Not a lot of difference but definitely makes them less lazy.

8. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Worst bang for buck ever. Lika above if you want a tune for a setup that basic get one from The1 or Delcowizzid.

9. Pollushon

Pollushon Boost gives me a bar....

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    Tunes on stock mangtek aren't about power, you'd need one hell of a sensitive arse to notice, anyone who tries to sell you a tune focussing on power is a clown. You will get better response and economy though, done right the fuel savings will pay for the tune in a few months depending on how you drive it. On top of this assuming it's an auto, your shift characteristics will be soooo much better. I always recommend a Corvette servo to compliment a good tune for the cheapest, snappiest shifts.

VX's require a recal PCM they don't use chips, as well as the1 and Delco, Mace offer a pretty cheap service and I (among others) can vouch for the quality of their work.

HOLDEN RECALIBRATED COMPUTER/PCM TO SUIT VU-VX V6 - Mace Engineering Group

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  10. vsv6dude

vsv6dude Member

Members Ride:
    vs v6 wagon
    Extractors and cat-back can make it little sluggish off the mark if you up-sized pending what you installed.
    Up-sizing the exhaust can cool gases too quickly and reduce gas flow and engine has to work harder to push these out.

Extractors and cat-back system mainly for sound and some end top end performance on V6 3800, after reading numerous threads on this subject matter.

Cheapest gain is to run 98 ron, any chip programming most likely to smooth out flat spots due retune of exhaust system to the engine.

Best I have read is a gain of 8-12kw at the rear wheels with your mods.

VX V6 stoc is around 106kw +- 1kw at the rear wheels are extractors exhaust 98 ron and retune likely to be between 114 to 118kw at the rear wheels +- 1kw.

AS said above Unichip too expensive compared to power gains.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  11. Sonie

Sonie New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs commodore v6 3.8
    I have a vs 3.8 auto, I want to put the heads of a vy l67. Just wondering what is the best way to go about it computer wise.?
    Could I use a piggyback ecu with the original ecu? And if so where would I find one ?
    Thank you

12. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    What are you trying to do?

You can't use L67 heads without the supercharger (they're exactly the same as Ecotec heads anyway apart from the injector ports), and even then you wouldn't need an ECU.