Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

United to fuel V8 SuperCars

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes I did read you're post there are usually people who disagree so was just asking... so if I add some forced induction it would be worth it but otherwise dont bother

Mate it would not be worth the work to be compatible for your car, no. I saw a 5% increase at the wheels after a tune, which is typical at 11:1 CR. I suspect gains would be higher in an LFX due to higher static and dynamic CR (around 11.7:1).
The below chart is not mine but shows unopened stock cam gains on a VE 6.0 using e85:
8u8yhy2y.jpg

Basically it is worth tuning and using it if your car is compatible (13-18rwkW) otherwise if you are chasing performance you have to weigh up the cost of 5% moar power. If you are upping CR or forced induction then it's a no-brainer.
Here is the accompanying article which although a bit dated is a good overview:
http://www.hp-f.com.au/about-2/hpf-news/green-power-ve-e85-flex-fuel/

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Is there a standard metric you can put on FI applications? Like mine for example, which I approximate as 240rwkw currently, there's really no significant gains to be made beyond this without blowing a wad of cash I'd better spend on a new 'dore, LS and GT42. So I'm at my hardware wall. Moving to E85 is really only going to cost me a tune, what might I expect conservatively?

Panther_Brad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6ltr
Mate it would not be worth the work to be compatible for your car, no. I saw a 5% increase at the wheels after a tune, which is typical at 11:1 CR. I suspect gains would be higher in an LFX due to higher static and dynamic CR (around 11.7:1).
The below chart is not mine but shows unopened stock cam gains on a VE 6.0 using e85:
8u8yhy2y.jpg

Basically it is worth tuning and using it if your car is compatible (13-18rwkW) otherwise if you are chasing performance you have to weigh up the cost of 5% moar power. If you are upping CR or forced induction then it's a no-brainer.
Here is the accompanying article which although a bit dated is a good overview:
http://www.hp-f.com.au/about-2/hpf-news/green-power-ve-e85-flex-fuel/

Thanks for the detailed info mate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Is there a standard metric you can put on FI applications? Like mine for example, which I approximate as 240rwkw currently, there's really no significant gains to be made beyond this without blowing a wad of cash I'd better spend on a new 'dore, LS and GT42. So I'm at my hardware wall. Moving to E85 is really only going to cost me a tune, what might I expect conservatively?

Are all you're fuel lines setup for E85,is your fuel pump is suitable & injectors as well?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
They were right Mate;)
Still I'm willing to give the Flex85 a red hot go in my Redline. Holden says its ok, I've got to believe it.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yep. Walbro pump, FPR reg and I replaced the lines (including in tank) with Gates universal when the pump went in. Googled it and was pleasantly surprised it's ethanol rated. Running the L67 32lb injectors, but I'm planning on replacing them shortly as they've had 80k of a hard life.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
They were right Mate;)
Still I'm willing to give the Flex85 a red hot go in my Redline. Holden says its ok, I've got to believe it.

Absolutely you should mate! E85 compatible vehicle,it breaks through compatible fuel supply components THEY fix it :smoking:

I have no concerns with going that way at next tune time whatsoever(but might extend my warranty lmao)

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE

Disregarding all rubber factors etc.. your boosted car tuned on e85 will see close to an extra 50 peak rwkw.
E85 makes a huge difference across the rev range, not just at 10,000 rpm.