Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unknown Fault

quincy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Poison Ivy Series 2
After a few hours driving (anywhere from 3-8hrs) car starts to break down and misfire under heavy accelleration . Led to some scary overtaking moments when you expect a certain amount of power to be available which is no longer there. Scenario is usually followed by car shutting down completely and not restarting (no error messages present either). Hard fault to replicate in a work shop due to the circumstances it happens under. Next day car runs perfect again. From what i am hearing (from other owners) mine is not the only one! Dealers doing the best they can but any ideas from anyone with same issues and solutions would be awsome

FPV 4 T

myspace.com/attakarrak
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.
hrmm only thing I can think of is sh!t fuel..? is is a V8? the VE V8's are designed to run on 95 octaine fuel.. but will still run on 91 octaine (if it has to, decreased perormance - limp home) are you doing long distance driving.? it seems like you have pulled up at some Sh!t fuelo in the middle of no where and most probably picked up the premium pump and if anything got sh!t quallity, dirty or even expired 91 octaine fuel.. the same thing happened to my VE Clubby about 2 weeks ago.. I went to a shell fuel station in the place i live and paid for 98 octaine Optimax fuel and drove away. not before long i was having the exact same problems you discribed. engine pinging like fu*k, surging, misfireing the whole works... not to help any my engine has been tuned to run only on 98 octaine, also my air intake is maffless! I went back and complained to them but they pretty much told me to Fu*k off blaming the problem on my car coz it has been modified and not still factory. So i then went to fuel watch and complained to them, they asked me for a copy of my reciept and a sample of my fuel to be analized. I had to take my car to some fuel analizing depo for them to take the sample so i couldnt "tamper" with it. I done that and a few days later gave me the results! Pretty much I had paid $132.11 for 73 litres of 91 octaine unleaded that was made up of about 16% water! so actually i paid for and pumped 62 litres of 91 octaine unleaded and 11 litres of water out of a 98 pump at 98 octaine fuel prices! into my tank. now that fuel station is in the sh!t and I might be compensated for the damage done to my engine (if any has occured) and the investigation is still on going now! Fu*king arseholes :(
also just to let you know while i was having these problems my car did not show up any warnings or let me know there was a fault.. tech 2 might be able to get something tho, wen it gets its servive on monday :)

fasamr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 3.8 ltz
i guess its your crankshaft senser, replace it

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

fasamr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 3.8 ltz
yes right first diagnose, check than replace

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
yes right first diagnose, check than replace

mainly saying that because ecotecs and buicks use a hall effect sensor at the front of the motor, alloytecs and ls1's ls2's l98 etc use a pulse ring with an inductive pick up setup at the back of the crank, this is usually pretty solid state componet,

but very similar symptom to the first post yes

quincy

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wish it was fuel but this problem has been ongoing for every long distance trip I have done in the last 6 months. Symptoms are always the same, ie car runs beautifully for several hours then appears during overtaking , (only time I accelerate heavily ) . Car is a 6ltr V8 (ve) with just over 60000klm's on the clock . Problem first appeared at about 45000ks and all long distance klm that have been driven since have been to the dealers to try get problem solved. *holden dealer is over a 1000klm's away* Only modification done is a SS inductions cold air kit which has been on the car since 1st service. Car only run on 98 fuel since new. Know of 1 other SS-V with almost identical klm's with exactly same problem , also been stranded several times on isolated roads in the middle of knowhere for hours till car is cold then will restart. I have just returned home from the dealers today (just driven over 1000k's) and ran perfect for 650k's. Also car is never run below a quarter of a tank

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wish it was fuel but this problem has been ongoing for every long distance trip I have done in the last 6 months. Symptoms are always the same, ie car runs beautifully for several hours then appears during overtaking , (only time I accelerate heavily ) . Car is a 6ltr V8 (ve) with just over 60000klm's on the clock . Problem first appeared at about 45000ks and all long distance klm that have been driven since have been to the dealers to try get problem solved. *holden dealer is over a 1000klm's away* Only modification done is a SS inductions cold air kit which has been on the car since 1st service. Car only run on 98 fuel since new. Know of 1 other SS-V with almost identical klm's with exactly same problem , also been stranded several times on isolated roads in the middle of knowhere for hours till car is cold then will restart. I have just returned home from the dealers today (just driven over 1000k's) and ran perfect for 650k's. Also car is never run below a quarter of a tank

has the dealers said anything?

quincy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dealers trying to resolve but at this stage for both vehicles (both being looked at by different dealers) it will just be a process of elimination and conference calls with tech services . Holden know they need to solve this since if it is going to be a common fault once the 6ltr's start getting high k's the potential is definately there for someone to get seriously injured or killed when overtaking multipule trucks/cars and the fault arises for them for the first time. The dealers are being very understanding/helpful.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
Only modification done is a SS inductions cold air kit

just a wild guess : are you sure that the problem is not here ?

all I'm saying is that the CAI might get humid and stop letting air in .

my car never did this although it's always pushed too hard ...

:) when it happen to you next time keep driving till' the dealer ;)