Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

unknown noise ???

SparOHawk

Reaction score
ok to start with I have a VR senator, I have a strange noise, sounds like its coming from drivers side dash or firewall, its hard to describe, best way I can put it is its a knock but more but in the rhythm of the injector pulse, when ya feel the fuel line near the rail you can feel the pulse, like that but an audible knock from in behind the dash, it kinda goes away when you put the brake peddle to the floor but you can still feel it ??? very confusing and annoying, im sure it nothing in the brake system, all I can think sothin funkie with the fuel system?? maybe a vacuum / manifold problem ?? im lost on this one HELP ANY ONE, and hey if you no ideas a annoy one know an amazing mechanic that can ID weird noises in Brisbane would be appreciated

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
If it goes away when you apply the brakes I would say it is brake or wheel related. Check your brake pads, your disc, the tyre and rim(for any bubbles, damage or wear) first and then check your steering joints for play.
Does the noise increase or decrease when rounding a bend? If it does it could mean it may be the wheel bearing or even the strut. Jack the car up on that side and see if there is any play in the wheel. Hands at ten and two (o'clock) and push and pull alternately.
Easiest way to check the rim and tyre is to remove it and put your spare on to see if makes any difference.
Check your wheel nuts as well.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Nothing to do with the cruise control?....and as its a Senator it will have heaps of electronic gizmos up under the dash just waiting to play up. Is the vibration present when stationary or just when driving? Not a bent fuel line hitting the firewall? Good Luck.

SparOHawk

Reaction score
can only hear it at idle when not moving, its not wheels, tyres, brakes as its not moving when it makes the noise, its got me stumped...

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe try pulling fuses one at a time with the engine idling - don't pull the airbag one though (never know what might happen!!!). If its electrical it will stop ....but if its vacuum...

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
can only hear it at idle when not moving, its not wheels, tyres, brakes as its not moving when it makes the noise, its got me stumped...

My mistake, I thought it was whilst driving.
Pull the fuses as hako has said.

SparOHawk

Reaction score
update

i pulled fuses, nothing changed... is there anything in the gearbox (auto) that could be making this noise.... ?? help please, its giving me the right irrits.

V

vr Freko

check that the uni joint aren't worn you can do that by moving the driveshaft and checking the free play in the joints

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As its only whilst stationary, try pulling or clamping the vacuum line to the vacuum reserve tank under the pass side mudguard near the washer bottle...this will tell if its vacuum related. Also check the exhaust manifold drivers side...may be leaking a bit or something may be touching the pipe and rattling. No chance one of your engine mounts has collapsed and is now metal to metal? Does it go away when you select D or R?