Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unknown sound

Portlandssguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sscrewman
Hey guys hoping someone can help me with an annoying sound coming from my engine bay. I have 2006 vz ss crewman with a 6lt I have had several mechanics try to diagnose noise. Not belts steering pump,water pump,thermostat, balancer,a/c, can't think what else but please give me your thoughts cheers guy.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Might be a couple of things.
Gremlins, or maybe the underpants gnomes?

Dude, can't offer any possibilities without a recording, or at least a description of what it sounds like.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Get a one meter length of garden home and put one end to your ear and use the other end to listen around the engine and localise the noise to some part of the engine since it could be anything…

That way you may be able to work out where the noise is coming from, what it sounds like and record it if you can. Then describe where and what and add the sound file to your post… In that way someone may have a hope at being be able to help you…

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Bit rough having the other half in the engine bay whilst the engine is running... :D

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Could be anything...lifter tick to rolling rod bearing #6 ... drop the oil and check ,if its clean you dont have much to worry about... if its a tick coming from the drivers side try tightening the front 2or3 extractor manifold bolts a tad...dont get carried away as you dont want them snapping (a tad)....if theres metal in the oil ...you have a problem... if the oil is clean you could also try going up 5w in grade to see if it quietens ....my 10 cents

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's near 200k or over could be anything as that is when they all start to wear out

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The op might have driven the car into the ocean hence why they haven't been on since the initial post