Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unleaded 202 conversion

Chris76

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what's required to convert a 202 to unleaded petrol?
I have been told I have to change the valves to stainless steel. Is that all I have to do? Does repco or anywhere else sell these as an off the shelf item?
Should I replace the springs at the same time? Im wouldnt mind a bit more power should I have the head shaved while its off? The car is standard at the moment.
Apart form extractors and exhaust. Any advice will be really helpful.

Chris

Rosco666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3
yeah ya have to change the valves and seats im picking my head up on friday tell ya how she goes and ya probably best getting it shaved and theyl crack test it to.

Chris76

Reaction score
Thanks Rosco,

Please let me know how the car goes once youve got it back. Where did you get it done and how much was it (if you dont mind me asking)?

Chris

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Basically you really need hardend valves and valve seat inserts. You need seats recut and inserts put in and cut to suit the new valves it might be worth putting in new springs at the same time. Most places Like where i work HM gem Engines sell reco heads with seats and new valves to suit unleaded and gas they go for $250 with gaskets and your old head in exchange. If you want shave head some more you wouldn't want 30 thou less than standard you'd need to find out how much is left on the head before you'd do that

Chris76

Reaction score
Thanks pub for that info. Ive actually got a spare head and it a low comp head so I guess I'll have to get the shop to sus out how much to shave off.

Chris

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
If it's low comp head it'd already have 30 thou or so off so you would just need to the minimun off.

Chris76

Reaction score
Thanks again Pub very inofrmative and helpful. How did you go Rosco?

Rosco666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3
all together now but got oil problems no oil reaching head nothing to do with the head though we think its the oil pickup/ pump so we got to rip the engine out again so see what appens.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 'S' Pack '03
hey Rosco tell me if ya fix the problem and let me howz.....

I have similar problems with my car and cant find wats wrong

Cheers

Rosco666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3
before we replace things were goin to try the vasalene trick prime the spark plug holes and wind it over manualy while pouring oil bown the head can take sometimes 15 minutes