Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unsure with what’s wrong

WisoT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6 s1
In January this year I had my transmission serviced by Midas on my 2013 SV6 and at that time roughly had 155,000kms on it!
The car was always really consistent on getting the service at holden but due to my work location I couldn’t get to Holden and then get to work on time!
The car had always done 8.9ltres per 100 to and from work but after I got it back it went up to 10.5-11!
Felt sluggish on go and going up hill it seemed to kick back 2 gears and seemed to struggle and even on a small incline it would kick back!
So took it to Holden and they diagnosed that something has gone wrong in the gearbox and needs replacing and quoted $5000 for brand new and fitment but at that stage couldn’t afford it! and Midas denied that anything was wrong with the trans but it might be the fuel pump!
Holden told us to try resetting the ecu to see how it goes and it worked for a while until I put it into reverse up hill then all the symptoms came back so did reset and was fine and as the months went fuel economy got worse again and not even the reset worked!
Took it to Holden again was diagnosed as the transmission and quoted $4000 so just did it!
Got it back with no change better reverse but same issue!
Tried the reset and only lasted 40kms!
I was thinking could it be electrical maybe ecu issue or a sensor somewhere as why does it go ok when I do a reset
So before I take it back to Holden anyone have any ideas or had similar issues?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I have nothing helpful to say (I'd suggest Take It To My Guy but he's in Hornsby) … but effing dealers & their "just keep throwing parts at it, at the owner's expense, until we stumble across the fix by accident"!!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
When you had the initial problems after service, did you goback to Midas for resolution?

Regardless, an 'expert' Holden dealer clearly stated what the problem was, so you took their expert advice. Sadly this didn't resolve the issue in any substantial way so you are still left with the very same issue you had going in yet $4000 poorer. I'd discuss this problem with your state based consumer affairs group, Fair Trading as they are known in your neck of tyhe woods.

You do have legal protections around service provision by businesses and may be able to claw back your $4k so do discuss it with FT.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did Holden say that any error codes had been set, and did they give you the numbers?

I wonder if Midas had ever serviced the transmission on a VF Commodore before. Not as straightforward as a 4L60e trans.

Last edited: