Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
  1. Just Commodores will be taken down on the 19/06/2018 @ 9PM ACST, expected downtime is ~30 minutes.

This addresses a recently found hardware issue.

Dismiss Notice

untuned sound???????

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by hold-on, Aug 6, 2006.

1. hold-on

hold-on New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6
    I have a vs series II v6 auto the other day on a long drive (a good few hours) I noticed when in drive and in 4th gear and about 1700rpm my car started making a rmmm rmmm rmmm rmmm noise instead of the rmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm consistant hum noise. reminded me of an untuned lawnmower. when this happens I can give the car some higher revs and it will go aways. it also does not do this all the time.....

Very Confused!!!!!!
    please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. hold-on

hold-on New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6
    just checked computer codes, had a code 35 error, idle speed error. can someone help as to what is the cause???

3. HIROLLA

HIROLLA Member

Members Ride:
    VS SIII CAPRICE
    could be the road. My car does it at this one particular road.

4. kopper69

kopper69 New Member

Members Ride:
    VRII Acclaim
    Clear the fault codes first and recheck if they occur in a week. Wouldnt hurt to give the throttle body a clean (do a search) and adjust the idle air control valve (should be detailed in the how-to guide when you find the throttle body clean)

5. hold-on

hold-on New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6
    awesome will give it a go!!!! can I just disconect negative terminal of the battery for about ten mins then do the iac re learn procedure, ( will putting the neg terminal back on battery short the computer or is that sweet.

6. aa23

aa23 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim
    I think it's only about 1 minute.

7. hold-on

hold-on New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6
    I think I have located the throttle body, bugger if I know how to get it off though. wiped the inside with a rag to find black wet carbon deposit!!!!!! how do i take it off and clean properly???? and aslo last oil I used a 10 30 semi synth this time a 10 30 fully sythetic, I think this may be to thin for my cars engine reccomended is 20 50. also would like ti adjust idle air control valve but not sure where it is located, is it a tiny screw on the throttle body?????
    one last question, could I have done any damage using the thinner oil, or will it be okay if I just change filter and put in reccomened???

Cheers

sorry for the loads of questions

8. hold-on

hold-on New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6
    manage to find what throttle body was and iac cleaned both reset ecu code 12 again and agian and again and again etc so all is good!!! oh and I didn't loose my stereo only disconnect battery for about a min mayber the ecu resets allot faster than the stereo????

9. hold-on

hold-on New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6
    oh forgot to mention I have not test driven but am fairly confident

10. WILD VR CLUBBY

WILD VR CLUBBY lack of licence

Members Ride:
    2004 vy s
    you wasnt driving on the white bumpy line was u?

my old gf took her car to the mechanic and got her wheel bearings done coz she was drivng on the white line and though somthin was wrong with the car lol

11. hold-on

hold-on New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6
    nothing to do with road, dirty throttle body and iac valve me thinks

12. Jon Z

Jon Z New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Series 2
    Might even be the torque converter, it might be unlocking then locking up causing the change in revs or sound as you are describing, just my 2 cents

13. hold-on

hold-on New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6
    how can I tell if it is the torque converter, went for an hour drive today ran diagnostics after code 12 did not seem to make the untuned sound. Checked throttle body afterwards and had carbon residue (not much) but from being completely clean and going for an hour drive should ther be any residue at all????? or is a bit normal!!!

14. Jon Z

Jon Z New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VS Series 2
    Well if its the torque converter u can hear the revs change and the revs on the tacho will increase slightly while its unlocked then as it locks up again the revs will drop. If it is this and i dont really know if it is you will feel it too while driving. Mine was doing this at around 80's before i got it serviced as it was in need of a fluid change.

As for the carbon deposits after an hour driving i wouldnt think there would be that much but it could also depend on your valvetrain etc and how much fuel etc is getting back up into the top of the manifld etc. I could be wrong but its an idea

15. hold-on

hold-on New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6
    okay say it was the torque converter how can I go about repairing / cleaning or whatever you do to it!!! the carbon despots were not much after hour of driving....... what do you think about the wrong oil viscosity 10/30 synthetic instead of 20/50. also a while ago one a cylinder was down due to spark plug I think the oily residue I found in throttle body could have been caused by one of the above what do you think??????

16. holden007

holden007 VRII

Members Ride:
    Subaru Liberty
    If your engine has high mileage (most of our cars do) then use 20-50W oil, 10-30W is to thin for a big old engine. I use Penrite 20-60W, runs beautiful and less noice (I used to use GTX2, some reason it's lost quality).