Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unwanted hot air into cab

ChrisG777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
I have read other threads on a similar issue but their solutions did not fix my problem. With my temperature dial set to cold, the air into the cab is 8 deg warmer than outside. I have replaced the heater tap and checked that it is fully closing off. Then, with the engine running and the tap closed, I removed the water hose from the cab side of the heater tap, to see if any water was seeping through the tap and was surprised to find water gushing in the other direction! i.e. FROM the cab TO the tap. I expected the tap to stop hot water (coolant) entering the heater box in the cab. It seems to go the other way - the water into the cab being an uninterrupted pipe, and leaving the cab being the pipe with the heater tap inline. I realise that water flow through the heater box in the cab will be stopped no matter where the tap is, but some heat will surely be conducted along the pipe full of stationary hot water. Is it possible that somehow my coolant circulation pump has been installed backwards? Or is that the way the coolant is supposed to circulate?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I'm fairly certain that's how it is. I know in the VE there is a constant flow through and the temp is controlled via a series of doors and flaps that open and close compartments rather than how it was in the VS and models previous.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hope this helps.

Is the tap in the correct way?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 10.27.50 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 10.27.50 am.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 10.28.05 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 10.28.05 am.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 176

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hot Air In The Cabin ! :confused:
I Always have that problem when the Mrs Gets In. :eek:
:D

Ye Ye, I know, its a fine line between Pleasure and Pain, but I always seem to live on the edge :cool:

Last edited:

ChrisG777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Hope this helps.

Is the tap in the correct way?
Thanks. Yes, the tap is in the same way as in your diagram. But the diagram shows the water circulation direction to be different to what I observed. I will disconnect the pipe and check it again - perhaps there was some pressure buildup that caused the water to gush out from the reverse direction when I disconnected it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s normal for water to come from both directions when the hoses are disconnected.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you have proper vacuum to the the tap?
If there is an actuator that is leaking, maybe the tap isn’t able to shut off like you think it is?

Have you flushed the heater core out?

ChrisG777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Do you have proper vacuum to the the tap?
If there is an actuator that is leaking, maybe the tap isn’t able to shut off like you think it is?

Have you flushed the heater core out?
Vacuum to the tap is not the problem, because I wired the tap closed and still had the problem. A new development is that I removed the tap altogether and replaced it with a solid plug, stopping any water flow. This temporarily solved the problem and my airflow into the cab returned to normal outside air temperature, like it used to be. When I blow through the removed tap with my mouth, some air does leak through, even though this is a new tap. Thinking that I had bought a dodgey tap (through the internet), I ordered one through my local Holden dealer. When I went to pick it up, I tried the blow-through test, and that one behaved the same - you could blow air through while holding the lever closed. The attendant then took it out the back and tried it with water. He said yes, some water does leak through when closed. How hard can it be to make a simple tap that closes off properly? Any plumbing store would have one. Anyway, I told them there was no point buying another tap just like the one I had so I'm back to square 1. I think I've eliminated everything except perhaps that a dribble of water is supposed to pass through, and my problem is that the air mix flap on my car is not sealing off properly. However, one of the 3 service centres that I have paid to look at this said that they checked on that. I will have to do it myself. But i can't find out how to get at it. Can anyone advise how I expose the warm/cold air flap, that I believe is down by the left foot rest? I can't see it or how to get at it. Will try flushing heater core - but I can't see how that would be a cause of too much heat, only the other way. Thanks.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Wouldnt it be as simple as swaping the hoses around and see what happens