Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Update on my Oil Consumption Problem-Very Interesting

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Firstly, I'm not complaining. I'm just explaining what is happening and whether other people think I should look at compensation. I'm happy they are giving me a new engine and not just telling me it's fine or within tolerance or whatever, they are doing the right thing. This isn't the only trouble I've had but that's another story.

I'll hit them up for compensation just to see how I go but I'm sure nothing will come of it. I'll also be going over the car with a fine toothed comb to make sure no damage has been done, otherwise then I'll really fire up.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Its probably fortunate they didn't ask you to pay for the installation. I'd be wrapt with a new one at 20,000kms as you basically get to start again for nix.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
For compo, here's a Chevy badge. :)

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
I imagine they'll at least wash the car (I know we would), but I wouldn't expect much more.
If they damage anything at all and you have proof it was not done prior to the repair, you have every right for the repairs to be carried out at their cost (with their consent of course).
If they scratch something, they should paint or replace it. If they break something, they should replace it, etc.
On the same note, shite does happen especially on big jobs, so if you find something that needs attention, bring it up politely.
So many people go all macho and expect everything done on the spot. Put yourself in their shoes :)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
plus i don't think at resale time, hearing that you've had a new engine put in will help resale value? i may be wrong, but that's my personal opinion.

and how would anyone know this without you telling them?

a brand new crate motor installed in a car under warrenty has the same engine number stamped into the block as the old.

the old motor is sent back to holden and they either crack to open to examine, or send it to there own scrap yard

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I'll hit them up for compensation just to see how I go but I'm sure nothing will come of it. I'll also be going over the car with a fine toothed comb to make sure no damage has been done, otherwise then I'll really fire up.

I would be worried about damage also.

To be cautious I would do the following----

1. When you drop the car off at the dealership, take a senior service centre rep aside and go over the car with him.
2. Then have a document prepared in duplicate for him to sign attesting that after a detailed visual inspection there is no damage to the car's paint work, body work, engine bay etc.
3. Take some detailed date stamped photos the day you drop off the car, including shots of the engine bay.

Best of luck with it. Hope the engine change is well done with no dramas.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Same engine number ? That's a bit dodgy isn't it ? I would have thought every engine that comes out of the factory should have a unique engine number stamped on it before it leaves the production line, and that this number would be trackable back to the day it was made at least ?
Shipping engines around with blank numbers just leads to help the crims with rebirthing and so on.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Same engine number ? That's a bit dodgy isn't it ? I would have thought every engine that comes out of the factory should have a unique engine number stamped on it before it leaves the production line, and that this number would be trackable back to the day it was made at least ?
Shipping engines around with blank numbers just leads to help the crims with rebirthing and so on.

Wont have the same engine number, whenever we install new engines we have to record the new and old engine numbers so the database can be updated.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Wont have the same engine number, whenever we install new engines we have to record the new and old engine numbers so the database can be updated.

hmm interesting, i was reading something the other day that said otherwise... thinking about it, it mightned have been holden manual i was looking through,

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Unfortunately the car has been sitting at Holden now since last Wednesday so I can't really go over the car with anybody to prove that there isn't any existing damage. I'll just have to hope nothing happens to it. I'm sure they do their best not to damage or scratch any part of the car and I hope they take plenty of precautionary measures to do so like cover the car in something.

I still can't believe how much better the SV6 I am driving goes though, just goes to show how much power I didn't know I was losing. It's a shame it's taken this long for them to figure it out.

I suppose I'll also have to go through the motions again of running in the engine properly.