Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Update on my Oil Consumption Problem-Very Interesting

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
I'm in the same boat as you, now hit 45,000km and they finally are talking about a new engine, they have done one in January 2013.

I average around 14ltr per 100 but do alot of inner city driving on the freeway I get 8.2 or 100 of fuel and 1.6ltrs of oil
Per 3000km

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
I'm in the same boat as you, now hit 45,000km and they finally are talking about a new engine, they have done one in January 2013.

I average around 14ltr per 100 but do alot of inner city driving on the freeway I get 8.2 or 100 of fuel and 1.6ltrs of oil
Per 3000km

Did they look at yours internally? That's where they found the problems in mine. Hit them up for a new one.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i don't like your chances of the car being covered with something...that is unless they have a huge workshop to store cars during the day..

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
Yeah did an internal with one of those camera scoops, didn't real show anything but that was 18,000km ago.

I have another trip to Melbourne and back then canberra soon so will have 4,000km done in a week.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Hey man
I also do alot of driving in peak hour and I average @ 40kms/hr and 13L/100ks fuel. If i drive on the freeway to go up the coast or something, then fuel consuption is at 8.5L/100ks, pretty darn good. I do drive mine pretty hard, and occasionally have a bit of fun against turbro's and eights, I can say that my SV6 farken goes hard. I also started a thread about oil consumption, and whilsts i was on the semi synth rubbish, i was going through 1litre of oil every 1000k's at the worst. Anyways, since going full synth 5W30, oil consumption is no longer an issue?????
Well guys, after all this and all the Holden vehicles I have owned, my SV6 series 2 2011, will mark the end of my Holden affair, fark Holden and the rubbish they give us. My money will be going on a Toyota next. I can not believe that the Govt gave Holden so much of our Tax dollars to stay afloat, you would think they would give us a quality car as a way of saying thanks, what has happenned to Aussie pride etc, its all bullshite, all they are after is money for nothin, they do not give a ratz arse about average aussies, they think we all replace our cars every 3 years. We are not all politicians you know, and after forkin out 30-40 grand or more, I expect better, much better. TOYOTA better. Oh what a feeling. It is so sad to see an aussie icon die, new cars should not have these problems, FFS, my HJ holden was more reliable and I had so much confidence in it, my VE, well I do not trust it and I am not enjoying the experience. Thanks for nuthing Holden. Actually looking at trading up to an XR6 Ford, yes that is right, read it again, F O R D, come on say it as well, F O R D. So pathetic that Holden think that as long as a car look "cool" thats all that matters??? WTF
Anyways this will probably be my last post, I hope all you guys get all your issues sorted, only way that will happen is if you get rid of your Holdens lol.
Unfortunately the car has been sitting at Holden now since last Wednesday so I can't really go over the car with anybody to prove that there isn't any existing damage. I'll just have to hope nothing happens to it. I'm sure they do their best not to damage or scratch any part of the car and I hope they take plenty of precautionary measures to do so like cover the car in something.

I still can't believe how much better the SV6 I am driving goes though, just goes to show how much power I didn't know I was losing. It's a shame it's taken this long for them to figure it out.

I suppose I'll also have to go through the motions again of running in the engine properly.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
i don't like your chances of the car being covered with something...that is unless they have a huge workshop to store cars during the day..

I mean I hope they cover it when swapping engines

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Bahahaha, Toyota quality??? Seriously mate you need to do some research. They do not have the quality they used to. They've really slipped lately - one of, if not the highest number of recalled vehicles. Mate's had problems with a few different models. Parents just bought a 200 series 'cruiser. Look into the oil issues in those. (Though I'd still prob buy one over any other 4WD - just wouldn't go anywhere without a few litres of fully synthetic oil on board, or better yet get an older one). We as consumers want all this fancy crap and high tech wizardry - which isn't as reliable or sorted as well, as they need the absolute latest tech to get the sale. (Ever heard the saying don't buy the first release of a model? That ain't just Holden). As for Ford - haven't had much to do with them in the last 20 years. Might be a good call. Hope you enjoy it and it goes well for ya. Personally my VE has done 120,000km without a hiccup. My VN did over 450,000 with only having to replace the water pump and harmonic balance. Pretty bloody good in my opinion. And best of all they're Aussie. So I'd go Ford over Toyota in a second, unless you want a ute. Then get on old Hilux. Mate just bought a carby model that went under in the floods. Hosed out the mud, took the plugs out and checked - then started it.

Edit: oops, forgot the earth strap went in the VN after about 400,000km. Didn't want to lie.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
If you have leaking valves, and leaking rings. This would cause your fuel consumption to be higher. Hopefully with your new engine you will have better fuel consumption, well after the first 5000km.
Good luck with it, it's good they are replacing your engine.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
After all these issues I've had I doubt I would ever buy a Holden again but not sure what I'd get. I still love Holden's don't get me wrong, it's just hard for me to contemplate buying another one. I just hope there isn't anymore ongoing issues after the engine is replaced.

Funny thing is I had a Hyundai Accent 2000 model which I paid $1500 for and it had 250000 km on the clock and it didn't miss a beat. You go and spend $35000 on a car and have major issues. That's what makes me angry in the long run.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
After all these issues I've had I doubt I would ever buy a Holden again but not sure what I'd get. I still love Holden's don't get me wrong, it's just hard for me to contemplate buying another one. I just hope there isn't anymore ongoing issues after the engine is replaced.

Funny thing is I had a Hyundai Accent 2000 model which I paid $1500 for and it had 250000 km on the clock and it didn't miss a beat. You go and spend $35000 on a car and have major issues. That's what makes me angry in the long run.

I understand you would be turned off but at the end of the day though, you have to remember you are the exception rather than the rule. The other good thing that is, if in a couple of months you are totally happy with the replacement donk your tune will change. There are plenty of guys here who have had Holden all their life and never had major issues like yours, it's a numbers game and you drew a short straw unfortunately.