Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Update on my Oil Consumption Problem-Very Interesting

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
OK look. I may be the only one that sees these issues that woolie and I and many others with LLT engines have, oh and don't forget the US vehicles with the LLT engines, a lot of complaints about oil consumption etc, etc. I also have had Holdens all my life and never had any issue with any of them.
HG Holden PV bought with 3 mates as a basher/shaggin wagon 6 cyl owned from 1982
EH Holden show car owned and fully rebuilt from 1984 6 cyl
VL commodore 6 cyl owned in 1988
HJ Holden 6 cyl, the best Holden ever, owned in 1991
VY series 2 commo 6 cyl, owned and still have it from 2005
And the latest and greatest VE series 2 POS 6 cyl owned from Oct 2011
I have only had issues with the VE
I still remember my ol mans EK wagon we used to get around in when i was a liltacka
Also the thing that gets me is that the dealership techs would know what a rough, underpowered car would be like compared to a good one of same make and model, but they chose to shut tha fark up about, hoping customer would go away. THIS IS THE REAL ISSUE, COVERING UP THEIR ASSES. iNSTEAD OF SAYING TO WOOLLIE 6 MONTHS AGO THERE WAS AN ISSUE, THEY WHERE QUITE HAPPY TO LET HIM DRIVE AROUND WASTING FUEL, OIL, HIS TIME GOING TO THE DEALER ETC ETC.
That my friends is BS and shows you what they really think of us Aussies, they do not get it, we like Holdens, they are Aussie mate, we expect good things from them and from our hard earned dollars.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
I understand you would be turned off but at the end of the day though, you have to remember you are the exception rather than the rule. The other good thing that is, if in a couple of months you are totally happy with the replacement donk your tune will change. There are plenty of guys here who have had Holden all their life and never had major issues like yours, it's a numbers game and you drew a short straw unfortunately.

LOL, mate by the sounds of what people write in forums, I think you are an exception to the rule if you do NOT have any issues with a VE..............:kissmy:
A lot of short straws as well

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
LOL, mate by the sounds of what people write in forums, I think you are an exception to the rule if you do NOT have any issues with a VE..............:kissmy:
A lot of short straws as well

Bit of an exaggeration don't you think?

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
People don't go searching for an online forum unless A) they have a problem with their car or B) they like reading about cars..

People never look up an online commodore forum just to say 'My car is running great! Hasn't missed a beat since I purchased it from <insert dealer name>!! Best dealer I've ever gone through!! Got excellent service and advice!!'

Actually if someone ever did join up and that was their only reason for joining I might drop dead..

Tonyla1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series ii SV6
People don't go searching for an online forum unless A) they have a problem with their car or B) they like reading about cars..

People never look up an online commodore forum just to say 'My car is running great! Hasn't missed a beat since I purchased it from <insert dealer name>!! Best dealer I've ever gone through!! Got excellent service and advice!!'

Actually if someone ever did join up and that was their only reason for joining I might drop dead..

Actually, my car is running great, hasn't missed a beat since I purchased it from Zupps at Beaudesert. They are the best dealer I've ever gone through and I always get excellent service. Haven't needed any advice because the car hasn't had any issues. True story. I guess I like reading this forum because I like reading about cars

Cheers

p.s. don't drop dead...there is no need for that

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
funny you say that- I joined the forum to find out more about my car- I have 08/2006 VE SS V8 and guess what no problems since buying it except general wear and tear, have done some mods and still no issues my mods caused a few CEL's but had them sorted with a tune(only one and that was harmonic balancer -replaced with upgrade kit at 100000klm at 135klm car is still running great so I'm with Tonyla1 on this. the holden dealer i bought from has been good and bad, now the service rep has gone things are better,and i love reading about cars and PLEASE dont drop dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Hey man
I also do alot of driving in peak hour and I average @ 40kms/hr and 13L/100ks fuel. If i drive on the freeway to go up the coast or something, then fuel consuption is at 8.5L/100ks, pretty darn good. I do drive mine pretty hard, and occasionally have a bit of fun against turbro's and eights, I can say that my SV6 farken goes hard. I also started a thread about oil consumption, and whilsts i was on the semi synth rubbish, i was going through 1litre of oil every 1000k's at the worst. Anyways, since going full synth 5W30, oil consumption is no longer an issue?????
Well guys, after all this and all the Holden vehicles I have owned, my SV6 series 2 2011, will mark the end of my Holden affair, fark Holden and the rubbish they give us. My money will be going on a Toyota next. I can not believe that the Govt gave Holden so much of our Tax dollars to stay afloat, you would think they would give us a quality car as a way of saying thanks, what has happenned to Aussie pride etc, its all bullshite, all they are after is money for nothin, they do not give a ratz arse about average aussies, they think we all replace our cars every 3 years. We are not all politicians you know, and after forkin out 30-40 grand or more, I expect better, much better. TOYOTA better. Oh what a feeling. It is so sad to see an aussie icon die, new cars should not have these problems, FFS, my HJ holden was more reliable and I had so much confidence in it, my VE, well I do not trust it and I am not enjoying the experience. Thanks for nuthing Holden. Actually looking at trading up to an XR6 Ford, yes that is right, read it again, F O R D, come on say it as well, F O R D. So pathetic that Holden think that as long as a car look "cool" thats all that matters??? WTF
Anyways this will probably be my last post, I hope all you guys get all your issues sorted, only way that will happen is if you get rid of your Holdens lol.

haha your post is cute......

you really think toyota is perfect?

hilux injectors, hilux clutch, landcruiser v8 diesel oil burning issue.... (note the owners manual states its acceptable for them to use more oil than the sump holds between services) and a couple extras here and there.....

i had my vz for 4 years and had the best time of my life in it, camping, track days, skid pan day, and lots of other things....... and never had a drama with it,

i bought a new car begining of last year, i kinda wish i hada bout an ss wagon now.......

i didnt get another commodore because i wanted something that had good re-sale, and was more practical for my needs,

but my 2012 BT-50 is a year old, 4 warrenty claims, 1 still unresolved, possible new engine to go in, was thought to have been the clutch disc rattling, so new clutch went in and not the issue

oh and a recall, its got 23,000km on the clock....

Last edited:

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Picked up the car last night. Everything seems ok at this stage. Definitely more power there but when she's run in I'm sure it will be more again. I asked the service lady behind the desk whether I need to do an engine run-in procedure again and she said 'no, I wasn't told you needed to' lol. I will anyway.

They want the car back in a couple of thousand Kms just to check it out. At that point I might do an oil and filter change again. Probably a good idea I think.

Let's hope it's a better car to drive now and I can keep it for a while. Don't really want to go and buy a Toyota or something....lol

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
They want the car back in a couple of thousand Kms just to check it out. At that point I might do an oil and filter change again. Probably a good idea I think.

I wouldn't change it that soon. The new engine will have engine oil in the sump from the factory. Leave it there for the first 7,500klm while allowing the engine to bed in. This is advice I have received over the years.. I had 4 engines replaced (some within 10,000klm) in my SSV when I had it.

Don't be scared of the new motor, hopefully they gave the engine bay a good soapy clean to get rid of engine coolent, if not it is a pirck to clean later. That siht stays around forever and smells when the engine bay is hot.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
New engines, transmissions and diff etc are delivered without oil.

Wont hurt to change the oil after a few thousand kms.