Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Update: P Platers can drive a V8 if they are rich!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15670814%5E1702,00.html

P-PLATERS will have to pay extra to take advantage of exemptions allowing them to drive high-powered vehicles on New South Wales roads.

From July 11, most P1 and P2 drivers will be banned from driving cars with eight or more cylinders or vehicles with performance modified, turbo-charged or super-charged engines.

The legislation, announced by the NSW Government earlier this month, includes exemptions for P-platers driving high-powered vehicles for employment purposes and to some P-platers in remote and regional areas.

But a NSW parliamentary inquiry into road safety today was told that P-platers would have to pay a $23 application fee before they could take advantage of the exemptions.

P-plate drivers would also have to make a separate application – and pay an additional $23 – for every high-powered vehicle they were eligible to drive, the inquiry was told.

Staysafe Committee chairman Paul Gibson today described the exemption fee as "outrageous".

"This is just another tax, another impost of families," he told the inquiry.

However, the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) director of road safety, Michael Bushby, said the fees were necessary to cover processing costs.

"You're calling it a tax, I'm calling it an administrative charge," he said.

Mr Bushby said P-platers would be required to make separate applications to make the laws "as definitive as possible".

"We don't see that as outrageous," he said.

"If you have an exemption to drive during work hours for a particular company because they have a V8, we don't believe that should then exempt you so that you can get in your mate's V8 on Friday night and drive it when you go out with your friends."

Mr Bushby said if cars were sold and replaced with another high-powered vehicle, another exemption application and fee would be required.

P-platers would also need to carry the RTA exemption papers with them when driving high-powered vehicles, in addition to their driver's licence, he said.

According to the RTA, a 17-year-old P1 licence-holder is four times more likely than the average driver to be involved in a fatal crash.

Also from the RTA
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/car/p1p2_conditions.html?hhid=1

cheers
Scott

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I have to disagree here, an extra $23 hardly classifys someone as rich LOL

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
i was one of those idiots 10years ago, vb 5ltr brock spec motor, 4 speed and i wound it up on the expressway to menai in syd to 220km/h and id drag everyone and zig zag through traffic but you know what, better education in earlier years is the solution. If you showed a 15year old a body in pieces after a fatality im sure that would be better than putting them in a 6cyl and saying take it easy son. Tell me a LJ torana or TC cortina with a worked 250 couldnt out pace some of these stock V8's these days???

Education, not isolation is the key.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
in my opinion i would feel safer driving in our v8 adventra with it's airbags, TC, EBD, etc than driving in a laser or something similar. i would have a better survival chance in our V8 if i hit a tree than a laser etc, they really should compare safety ratings and power.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
It's not whether or not you'd feel safer driving it.

It's whether or not a 17 year old testosterone fueled group of guys is going to get in it, and try and race every man and his dog. Would he do that in a Laser, or a v8.

I don't really think there should be many excemptions. And I hope they're damn well strict by them. If one minute they are saying, you can't drive this because its too powerful, but you can get your dad to sign a fake decleration for you.

Stupid.

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
bextor84 said:
It's not whether or not you'd feel safer driving it.

It's whether or not a 17 year old testosterone fueled group of guys is going to get in it, and try and race every man and his dog. Would he do that in a Laser, or a v8.

I don't really think there should be many excemptions. And I hope they're damn well strict by them. If one minute they are saying, you can't drive this because its too powerful, but you can get your dad to sign a fake decleration for you.

Stupid.

agreed. its either a ban or no ban at all

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
Ban em all, BAN all P platers in ALL states (exept Victoria) from driving anything that has over 20kw/tonne.

I'll stay here in Vic and enjoy the VX Calais S/C6 I'm getting between Feb and March next year (I'll get my P's in 2weeks 6days, if I pass, that's a big if considering I've picked up a lot of bad habbits in 2 years)

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
i get my P's in november i all ready have to cars a VN SS and A VR the vr has a chip and sports exhaust and pod filter would this be considered a high performance car?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yes, V8!

the VR unsure, they seem to only be banning Turbo, Super and 8's, but I'm unsure.

Look I work in a combined Land Rover and Volvo service center (I'm on my way down the ladder to Holden but they didnt want me when I was applying for jobs).

I had a look at the list, 7 or 8 odd pages of banned Volvos alone, I havent even looked at the Land Rovers because their all V8s or Turbo Diesels.

What shits me is now Ive got to pay extra to the RTA because I'm on my final 6 months of P's, just to be able to work, because legally then I'm not allowed to drive any car we service at work because their all just about either Turbo or 8's!

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Y2kGoofball said:
What shits me is now Ive got to pay extra to the RTA because I'm on my final 6 months of P's, just to be able to work, because legally then I'm not allowed to drive any car we service at work because their all just about either Turbo or 8's!

My understanding is that these rules do not affect p platers who had their P's before the cutoff date (forget when it is soon I think though) so u should be right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.