Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Update with Holden @ Elizabeth - closing down more likely??

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What would you say to a wage cut?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I would take a wage cut if it meant continued employment in my field and long term emplyment with a company which meant financial security

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Not normally one to quote myself...but appropriate here...from the random thread

Interesting conundrum isn't it. Reject part pay cut/freeze.....potentially receive 100% pay cut/freeze.

I also find it interesting that the workers/union consider the cap on the VSP as "a bridge too far". By it's name, it is voluntary so they don't have to accept one of those. The article doesn't mention any cap on forced redundancies. Is that a little bit of greed from the workers/union trying to extract as much as possible form the company when they decide they want to take a package ?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
If I was on $50/hr (which is apparently what the average Aussie auto worker makes) I would probably be happy to get 40 or even 35 bucks an hour if it meant the company would survive and I could stay in the job.

If I were an out of work auto worker in Elizabeth - surrounded by another 1500-2000 unemployed workers - you have 3 options. 1) long term welfare. 2) retraining in something else and possibly have to move (expensive and socially disruptive). 3) Fight over the few manufacturing jobs left i the area with another 1500-2000 ex-coworkers, 4) Move to another manufacturing job in another city (also expensive and socially disruptive).

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
If I was on $50/hr (which is apparently what the average Aussie auto worker makes) I would probably be happy to get 40 or even 35 bucks an hour if it meant the company would survive and I could stay in the job.

At my current workplace, we argued for a 12% pay increase over 5 years, but because our company just spent millions on new facilities, we agreed on a wage freeze for a year, and to renegotiate after that.

It's been over a year now and we're just coming into negotiation time again and the union is discussing pay increases of 12% again over X years. Personally, I would rather stay on my current wage ($19.64/hr) until these new Units sell (potential of 50+ units @ $300,000 - $600,000 = get back over what we spent on construction) and take a pay rise at a later date if it means keeping my job (There was talks of a lot of redundancies in the future)

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The thing is, if Holden goes then Toyota may go, spare parts go, manufacturing goes in the area. Thats it, no more.

Thousands umemployed, thousands fighting for jobs and under redundancy.
And government aint gonna pay welfare for a person on redundancy, trust me i know.
As was said to me, i wasnt able to apply for welfare for 12months, even though i may have run out of my payout package, so i had to find work and took me 3 months.

If the workers dont want to take a pay cut, then so be it but things would get harder from here on in of they take that road

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
you have 3 options. 1) long term welfare. 2) retraining in something else and possibly have to move (expensive and socially disruptive). 3) Fight over the few manufacturing jobs left i the area with another 1500-2000 ex-coworkers, 4) Move to another manufacturing job in another city (also expensive and socially disruptive).

psssst, that's 4, but hey they probably can't count count anyway..... the thing you maybe forgetting is a redundancy. these people may believe that if they hang out til the end that their redundancy may be greater than a short term pay cut.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
psssst, that's 4, but hey they probably can't count count anyway..... the thing you maybe forgetting is a redundancy. these people may believe that if they hang out til the end that their redundancy may be greater than a short term pay cut.

Its ironic I am studying to be a maths teacher lol.....

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'd take a pay freeze in that situation. As said avove, $50 an hour to build cars ? Why is holden paying those kind of dollars for essentially a trained labour job? Maybe thats part of the problem. The whole thing really sucks, Australia is putting itself in a really stupid postion. Soon we wont manufacrure anything, or grow much of our own food. Thats going to make the next war loads of fun for us...