Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updates on the green machine - for anyone interested.

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
its a green ute - luck of the irish :)

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
If I was you I'd throw in the question ... How many gearboxes before you just replace the car with one that works ?

+1, There should of been some sort of ruling on when should you be eligible for the car replacement for unlucky ppl like yrself TinSnips, u pay good money for that car and then spending next 18 months in f.....g around. :( Fer enough THEY r trying to solve those issues out, but................its not your F.... fault that that car is just ONE BIG LEMON!!! NEW ONE PLZZZ!!!

Anyway man I hope it works well for u which ever way they decide to sort this f...... up, GOOD LUCK!!!

blcarter81

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE CALAIS
CSP seems to know everything about anything - im sure he'd be able to isolate and fix all the problems or tell you what step to take next...:D

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute
CSP seems to know everything about anything - im sure he'd be able to isolate and fix all the problems or tell you what step to take next...:D

HAHAHA so I'm not the only one that noticed his arrogance. No offence CSP, you're just that type of a person it seems :D but that's ok.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Ok.. so after a (very) short drive we still have some issues, however the noticeable issues are now mostly rattles and squeaks - it is early days though, so I'll see how much the box degrades over the next few days (if at all).

This box feels quite different to the last three - the shifts into first, third, and fifth seem to be a little woolly.. but not clunking or grinding as yet. Second, fourth and sixth are still noisy but so far I've only noticed one instance of grinding (and only minor - so could have just been that a week in a Kia -fkn kias- has thrown my timing way out!) and one brief instance of being locked out of first (went straight in on the second attempt as opposed to banging it against the gate for 30 seconds and looking like a ########). Shifting in general feels a little lethargic though there is less question about gear selection so it's all swings and roundabouts I guess. It's also quite difficult at times to determine the difference between a gearbox that is clunky through faults from one that is clunky by nature, though I do tend to normally lean to the latter so as not to assume there is a fault. I'm pretty much resolved to the fact that (most) clunks are now normal, but grinding is bad, so if that starts up again, there is clearly another issue.

There's still plenty of backlash in the driveline, though doesn't seem to be as violent - not jolting the car around but I will take the car for a good run tomorrow with a good mix of slow and fast driving - and plenty of car park trawling (the time when the backlash is most violent) to really test it out.

So aside from the rattles (some are quite violent), so far so good, I guess. I'll be running the car up again at the end of next week for an evaluation and to have those rattles seen to - again.

Fingers crossed, huh? I'll be remaining neutral on the subject until it's clearly still rooted - or clearly resolved.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Thanks for the update, i wonder if some how you have copped a twisted chassis of the line. Throwing everything in the drive train out of whack.

I doubt it, but you never know.

You have my 100% backing for a good out come here mate.

Cheers.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Thanks for the update, i wonder if some how you have copped a twisted chassis of the line. Throwing everything in the drive train out of whack.

I doubt it, but you never know.

You have my 100% backing for a good out come here mate.

Cheers.

Who knows mate. No idea. But I've added a detroit tru-track diff to the wish list!

Thanks for the support, Mike.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Ha, way to go. Get that list in order mate.

Support, anytime not a prob.

Cheers.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
well after a few short runs (not the long run I was hoping to make time for this weekend) the ute actually feels pretty good mechanically. Still plenty of backlash in the driveline, though doesn't seem to be as violent. And as yet, no gearbox eating to report. It feels significantly notchier than the last ones, but no grinding yet. Notchy I'm fine with, so long as it doesn't eat itself. Also, whilst still clunky (they all are) it is noticeably quieter on the 1st, 3rd and 5th shifts - probably moreso than when I picked it up on Friday arvy.

Still a few fitment issues and rattles, but hopefully they can be addressed when it goes in again next friday.

I'll be doing quite a lot of driving over the next few days so have to wait and see how it holds up, especially in traffic.