Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updating factory speakers

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Likely a well-beaten topic over the years, my stock VX stereo system isn't bad but I have a few upcoming projects that will see access to doors, a good time to upgrade the speakers.

I 'think' the front speakers are 6" 92095183, back doors are the same as fronts? Does anyone know the depth of a stock magnet, or what fits? I simply want a direct replacement that is better than a 20yr old factory one.

Also, the rear shelf, are these also 6" but subwoofer style? I can see they are 92095186, depth not as crucial obviously. I didn't particularly want to cut anything to add 6x9 or similar on this car, again, something that is a good swap over.

Likewise, tweeters in dash ends if even bother with them.

Of course, if anyone has done this recently with current speakers to say what fits and works well would be a bonus and appreciated. I haven't shopped for speakers in 20yrs to know good and bad brands currently out there. Head unit is stock Eurovox with 10-stacker.
Thanks

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Complete Car Sound put a pair of Kicker KC6504 6.5" in my VZ doors last week. Fecking awesome sound, shits all over the 15 watt Korean made factory offering and is a direct fit into the door pod and doesn't foul the door trim grille. A patch lead has to be made as the factory wiring plug will not mate onto the new speaker.

https://www.kicker.com/47KSC650

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Head unit is stock Eurovox with 10-stacker.

I've found that in a lot of 90s/older cars the head stock unit is usually a pretty big culprit for bad sound. From what I remember Holden's ones were not that bad.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Probably a good idea to upgrade the stock 20 year old speakers anyhow but I found that when I upgraded the head unit in my old vx with the stock speakers still the sound was quality was definitely improved

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Awesome, thanks guys. Agree re: quality of head unit but at this point not doing anything with it, while it still works!
Dave....do you know if they needed a spacer or to trim the mount to fit the 6.5"? Seems a common requirement when I did a search, and also that it's a far more common size than 6".

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
No spacers or trimming of anything. They fitted straight into the pods and I believe the screw holes in the new speakers and the pods also lined up.
Was a 40 minute job to replace both speakers from start to finish.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
better HU with stock speakers > stock HU with better speakers.

but seriously update everything and profit.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
Yeah I know on both my VY even after i replaced the speakers the sound quality didnt make a difference and it was only noticed after upgrading the headunit. When i got my WH i learned also about getting a 6 1/2" MDF Speaker Spacer and replace the plastic thats in normally in that place and it will help stop vibrations from the speakers and give a much nicer sound overall.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I got my headunit and all my speakers replaced, sound quality improved alot, but there was still something missing

After talking to a audiophile at work he suggested that I get a sub in the boot, so I did, and whilst it did steal a bit of boot space, the sound is now brilliant

I also don't play any doof doof, I mainly play more 70's and 80's punk if I'm listening to stuff I've bought, or ripped, but, my go to radio station in ABC classic, pumping out fast heavy classical music and such at 11 is "motivating"