Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updating factory speakers

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
I got Pioneer 6.5" component up front, I stuck the tweeter pod near the side window air vent. If you want more punch you wont achieve it from 6.5". In my last 2 cars I used 7x10 Kenwood hooked to a rear amp, I also changed my last car set up and went with a 12" sub now I run two 8" free air subs in the back parcel self in my latest car.

H

harrop.senator

I was looking a the Alpine 6.5" SPC-170 for no particular reason than that I used Alpine in previous cars, different speakers though. Noticed they also have 6" SPJ-161C2 but half the price. Assume the price matches the speaker potential too. Would you match all 4 doors with same 6.5" as per stock setup? Then something with extra beef up back in the shelf, but possibly not for some time. I wasn't going to bother with the tweeters unless they came as a package deal perhaps, as some do. Are the stock ones not that good? Naturally, they aren't really meant to stand out over the others, just compliment them....listen to me talking speakers, no idea!

SPC look alright , the spj is the cheapest alpine speaker I've ever seen and would stay clear.

I'd run the spc components front and some coaxial rear if not going sub . I'm unsure what driver is in the parcel shelf that's not a normal coaxial speaker.

I got Pioneer 6.5" component up front, I stuck the tweeter pod near the side window air vent. If you want more punch you wont achieve it from 6.5". In my last 2 cars I used 7x10 Kenwood hooked to a rear amp, I also changed my last car set up and went with a 12" sub now I run two 8" free air subs in the back parcel self in my latest car.

How come you didn't just fit the tweeter where the factory does? Someone had drilled n glued my mirror cover with a tweeter on my senator. Never understood lol.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
SPC look alright , the spj is the cheapest alpine speaker I've ever seen and would stay clear.

I'd run the spc components front and some coaxial rear if not going sub . I'm unsure what driver is in the parcel shelf that's not a normal coaxial speaker.

How come you didn't just fit the tweeter where the factory does? Someone had drilled n glued my mirror cover with a tweeter on my senator. Never understood lol.

Couldn't be bothered running the wires from door to windscreen as my components connect to the back of speaker and not a box. My last car I put them up there but found it not as effective in that spot, maybe the side pillow cover be best for direct sound but its only 100mm from where I have them.
I was thinking of putting them in the side window vent but then thought it would restrict the air flow so I sat them next to it.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Late reply due to postal delays with items. Ended up with 2 sets of Alpine 6.5" SPC-170C speaker with extra tweeters and a few items I haven't yet identified.....!!

I don't know if the new tweeters are suitable upgrades for the stock Holden, or even worth looking at. But I have another older car where tiny hidden speakers including tweeters may be of use.

A few test fitting checks and also had a set of F+R MDF spacers from D2i Auto+Sound to keep it neat, and a few packs of plug adapters to keep mods minimal. I have some power window work due in the next few weeks which will be a perfect time to play around with the door trims off and update.

Reactions: Lex

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Old post, upgraded door speakers seem to have gone well but they obviously take a bit more juice from the HU than stock speakers. Not an issue as I don't run it that loud anyway, the stock rear shelf vibrates at even medium in volume with some bass. It's on the list along with some Dynamat or similar.

Have seen a few of the upgraded stock systems of the era like Statesmans and Calais featured an amp standard. Would this be part of a specific HU or added to the standard types as an audio upgrade? Where was this located? I guess what I'm trying to work out is if my Eurovox HU w/10-stacker would allow a simple upgrade like this is a stock way as have seen them used and NOS, and probably be able to obtain any matching harnesses at the same time. Or would you use something newer and custom? I wanted to keep my existing HU for stock appearance for as long as it works perfectly. Thanks

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
not sure if the clubby had an amp, (not too familiar) but an amp can easily be added with your stock headunit, it will use the hi-level input instead of RCA style input.

basically, the cable to the speaker gets routed to the amp first, then another cable from the amps speaker output to the speakers.

example below
83-a.gif

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Thanks, will have to look into it. Most of it is French to me.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Hi all, again.

As mentioned, I've already replaced all 4 door speakers with Alpine 6.5" SPC-170C speakers. Even with stock H/U it sounds good, perhaps not as tinny.

But the rear shelf with factory subwoofers still vibrates at 1/3 volume. While things were quiet I wanted to address this, pull the carpet and panel off and add some Dynamat or similar to limit the body noise there.

From looking under the shelf, I have #92095186 factory subwoofers, I think these match up with the #92053498 plastic mounting pods.

cheers

Last edited: