Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updating GPS maps

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
MY17 SS VF2 wagon
I've been noticing some serious errors in the GPS lately. Things like 'school zone' alerts where schools were destroyed and built over years ago, Speed limits where eg a limit shown on the GPS as 70K was reduced to 60K on the road itself, speed camera alerts triggering in the wrong location etc. In one case I get a speed camera alert 250mtrs AFTER I've passed the camera, but returning in the opposite direction later that day the alert triggers in exactly the same location it did earlier.

Can the maps be upgraded at all? and is this considered a warranty issue, considering that the GPS data is simply wrong.
For a 2017 vehicle it's showing data from years earlier than 2017.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The newest maps are nearly 3 years old, and depending on when your car was made yours could be 4-5 years old.
Given you’re still under warranty, especially if you’ve been getting the dealer to do servicing, I’d ask them to update your maps for free, preferably while they’re doing a service you’re paying for (just to give you a bit of leverage). Theoretically though, it’s not a warranty thing.

You can pay for map upgrades, around $200 (but the most recent one is the one that’s nearly 3 years old; rumour is that a new one is released in March but it’s likely to be a couple of years old upon release if they follow the same pattern).

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
I tried the "gimme an upgrade when you do the servicing" thing at the dealer in November. The answer? "Sure, it'll cost you $128." Thanks very much, considering the 'new' maps are probably the same as what's in there already.

I didn't take them up on their very kind offer.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
When you asked for the upgrade, did you complain about so much inaccuracy?
I’d try again, except take the approach of politely (& without blaming or anysuch) complaining about how inaccurate it’s become and how you’ve been nearly pinged a number of times because of how often it’s wrong etc.
Except I’d be tempted to wait & see if the March update is a Thing, unless you need a service sooner.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
As much as I love my car , and I do , the bane of my life is the nav in Mylink . I'm totally disgusted by how out of date it is , and doubly disgusted at the outrageous price they charge to update it . Back in the day we used to pay $50 for cutting edge technology called a referdex for a yearly update , the resources involved in creating this referdex far out weigh the software creation we now have , but yet they want to charge 4 times as much, DISGUSTING !!!! in my opinion , and I hope you find alternatives to Mylink maps , even if you just use your phone

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
how you’ve been nearly pinged a number of times because of how often it’s wrong etc.

That's what speed limit signs are for, not sat nav.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
As much as I love my car , and I do , the bane of my life is the nav in Mylink . I'm totally disgusted by how out of date it is , and doubly disgusted at the outrageous price they charge to update it . Back in the day we used to pay $50 for cutting edge technology called a referdex for a yearly update , the resources involved in creating this referdex far out weigh the software creation we now have , but yet they want to charge 4 times as much, DISGUSTING !!!! in my opinion , and I hope you find alternatives to Mylink maps , even if you just use your phone
I mean all cars navs are **** due to the closed system that manufacturers love as it gets them guaranteed money and boots on the floor.

Why it took so long for cars to have google maps or similar is crazy and obvious planned delay of society for business benefit.

Thank **** AC and AA are becoming a thing for safety and upto date software.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know, you know, we all know ... but it’s still an argument that shows you’re dissatisfied & that the product isn’t behaving as per expectation.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Yeah, just have to learn to ignore the speed limit in the HUD.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, just have to learn to ignore the speed limit in the HUD.
Except it's a useful safety device, so it's annoying when you can't even pay a minor amount (like $200 once a year) to keep it working.

Oh, when I say safety, I mean safety from the politicians who caused the current awful quality of Australian driving by ensuring the police force only enforces the adherence to a randomly-chosen speed limit. Not actual physical safety, because knowing the speed limit isn't going to increase your or anyone else's physical safety at all.