Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updating the VF to 2020

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by RED LION, Feb 29, 2020.

1. RED LION

RED LION Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    I’m sure there’s a lot of us on here that are quite happy with our VF’s being our long term car. My question is. What would bring the VF up to 2020 standards? What are some modifications you’d make to make your VF more modern?

2. RED LION

RED LION Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    My Redline II

Update for my link: there’s still no ideal solution to this Kayhan seemed like the best choice but thanks to some reviews on here I’ve decided to give it a miss. The beat would be @TazzI Colorado experiment but he’s obviously flat out.

Full exhaust/intake/tune: Bring it closer to the Stinger and Mustang performance wise

Calais V features: After owning a Calais V before the Redline this one does annoy me. Auto dipping mirrors, seat memory and an electric passenger seat should’ve already been on the Redline.

3. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    What would make a 2015-2017 car a 2020 car ? Nothing...let it age gracefully
    A new car ?

Milo 6.0, VS 5.0 and Geoff6666 like this.
  4. RED LION

RED LION Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    Soooo you’ve decided to post on this thread despite the fact it doesn’t really answer any of the questions in the OP. Cool

VFSV6FORME likes this.
  5. Smashfist

Smashfist Active Member

Members Ride:
    440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
    I've put one of the i902 Alpine units in to replace the Mylink and I'm pretty happy with it. Carplay really brings the tech offering up a little.

IridiumRose and RED LION like this.
  6. villn808

villn808 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SSV Sedan
    Did you do this yourself?

7. Smashfist

Smashfist Active Member

Members Ride:
    440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
    Yeah it wasn't hard, just time consuming and a bit fiddly. Plug and play apart from 1 wire to splice into the supplied harness (they give you both the wire and the harness, no idea why it can't come attached but anyway). The hardest part was where the instructions said "simply run the GPS antenna wiring from the R/H side of the dash" but mean "remove a shitload of other trims and the instrument cluster for access". Oh and the "simply run the wiring from the centre console for the usb port" means "lol remove the centre console, peasant".

As a bonus in the Alpine unit you can customise all of the chime volumes (e.g. the "LOL YOUR KEY IS IN THE IGNITION BUT YOUR DOOR IS OPEN I'MA WRECK YOU WITH A STUPID CHIME"), can turn them WAY down.

Downside is the units are NOT cheap and there's not a lot of choice for where to buy them e.g. not a lot of competition. I only got a small discount from RRP and that's because I bought at trade through work.

RED LION likes this.
  8. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    I precisely answered your question.
    It might be you dont agree with my opinion but that's separate argument...

wetwork65, Milo 6.0, VS 5.0 and 2 others like this.
  9. villn808

villn808 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SSV Sedan
    Ah okay thanks for the info. Sounds like something I think I’d rather pay someone to do lol.

10. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Yet @Ron Burgundy specifically answered the question.

Just coz you don't like / agree wth the answer doesnt make it invalid.

EDIT: he beat me to it.

11. Holden17

Holden17 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
    I’m old school and happy to leave our two VFs (and Mum’s VF1 CalaisV which I basically look after) stock original ...but I do admire and follow with interest what you guys do with performance mods and other upgrades!

With the above in mind, I’m ecstatic that these vehicles have standard features such as blind spot monitoring, HUD, remote start, flatbottom paddle shift steering wheels (bought at time of purchase as options on the ute & SS). Sure myLink could always be better and the reverse camera higher resolution but they serve their purpose for me. Self parking is a feature I still haven’t tried...maybe one day. So I’m happy to see my Holdens mature as is. Two features that are becoming pretty much standard on new vehicles are AEB and radar cruise but I honestly don’t rate these of any interest.

426Cuda and RED LION like this.
  12. RED LION

RED LION Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    So you’ve come in over 2 hours after he replied to me just to reiterate what he said. What did you want to achieve with this post?

For the record I agree with @Ron Burgundy but I thought it would be a fun thread in the middle of all the negativity on this board.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  13. RED LION

RED LION Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    Self parking is fun. Mind you my old Calais tried to put me in a curb. I did have different wheels and suspension though so I’m not sure if I messed things up there.

14. Holden17

Members Ride:
    Which is my fear...haha. I managed to rash the two passenger side SS rims at the end of last year on a very uneven old gutter...an unevenness which I didn’t pick at the time. I had actually parked, left wifey in the car while I ran across to the ATM and then when I came back, got in and rolled forward to exit we both heard/felt the rub and looked at each other....and of course wifey says, ‘glad that wasn’t me’ :(...went and parked elsewhere to inspect the front rim damage and then unexpectedly saw a graze across the surface of the rear one also...grrrr. Went back past the scene of the crime to see how the gutter and adjoining path had been cut/poorly repaired in a number of places. I must have parked just short of a slight protrusion....never rashed a rim when pulling OUT from a gutter before :rolleyes:....anyway if I was ever going to try self parking I must do it before getting these rims repaired :)

RED LION likes this.
  15. RED LION

RED LION Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    Just have that brake foot ready :)

with the dipping mirrors, front sensors and reverse camera they’re pretty easy to park anyway. It only takes a little lapse in concentration to graze a rim though. :(

16. Tripxit

Tripxit Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Wagon
    Having a wagon it's a amp, sub woofer and Android Auto. Just finished with sound insulation through the car which makes a difference.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    RED LION likes this.
  17. Holden17

Members Ride:
    No dipping mirror on the SS but in this case I guess I would have realised how close I was but I’m not sure if I would have escaped the protrusion as I left...lesson learned anyway, never ever parking along that stretch again.

RED LION likes this.
  18. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Lemme thunk ...

Engine-wise I know what it is. Without E85 availability I don’t think I’d change a lot there. Maybe the LS3 cam, but keep cylinder deactivation. Start-stop prolly not worth it.

Fit the 8spd Camaro auto-box, for many more smarts.

NVH is fine, but there’s prolly a MyLink-II or MyLink-III by now with Android Auto and Carplay. Which covers the Satnav problems. Then replace the rubbish stock speakers with proper ones, eg. MB-Quart or Focal. Small sub wouldn’t go astray, maybe powered ones under the front seats.

The electronic suspension from the ... well, whatever HSV were using, fitted to Director wasn’t it?

Those ex-CTS-V Brembos, with the 4-pot rears & 6-pot fronts. Although that’s just a nice-to-have, we don’t use it hard enough to stress the brakes.

New wheels. Nothing in particular, there are some nice looking options around. Probably finished in a dark shadow-chrome or a matte/frosted charcoal.

RED LION likes this.
  19. Tripxit

Tripxit Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline Wagon
    People really likes this feature? I have 2 cars with it and it's a pain in the arse in summer also a battery killer.

20. Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart I love puddles.

Members Ride:
    VF-SII SV6 (MY017) Sportwagon
    That's right. And new batteries are quite often not warrantied in cars with auto stop-start feature, like VWs. The way it operated has also been known to cause confusion among people not quite e "switched on" with advances in technology.