Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updating the VF to 2020

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I’m old school and happy to leave our two VFs (and Mum’s VF1 CalaisV which I basically look after) stock original ...but I do admire and follow with interest what you guys do with performance mods and other upgrades!

With the above in mind, I’m ecstatic that these vehicles have standard features such as blind spot monitoring, HUD, remote start, flatbottom paddle shift steering wheels (bought at time of purchase as options on the ute & SS). Sure myLink could always be better and the reverse camera higher resolution but they serve their purpose for me. Self parking is a feature I still haven’t tried...maybe one day. So I’m happy to see my Holdens mature as is. Two features that are becoming pretty much standard on new vehicles are AEB and radar cruise but I honestly don’t rate these of any interest.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Yet @Ron Burgundy specifically answered the question.

Just coz you don't like / agree wth the answer doesnt make it invalid.

EDIT: he beat me to it.

So you’ve come in over 2 hours after he replied to me just to reiterate what he said. What did you want to achieve with this post?

For the record I agree with @Ron Burgundy but I thought it would be a fun thread in the middle of all the negativity on this board.

Last edited:

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I’m old school and happy to leave our two VFs (and Mum’s VF1 CalaisV which I basically look after) stock original ...but I do admire and follow with interest what you guys do with performance mods and other upgrades!

With the above in mind, I’m ecstatic that these vehicles have standard features such as blind spot monitoring, HUD, remote start, flatbottom paddle shift steering wheels (bought at time of purchase as options on the ute & SS). Sure myLink could always be better and the reverse camera higher resolution but they serve their purpose for me. Self parking is a feature I still haven’t tried...maybe one day. So I’m happy to see my Holdens mature as is. Two features that are becoming pretty much standard on new vehicles are AEB and radar cruise but I honestly don’t rate these of any interest.

Self parking is fun. Mind you my old Calais tried to put me in a curb. I did have different wheels and suspension though so I’m not sure if I messed things up there.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Self parking is fun. Mind you my old Calais tried to put me in a curb. I did have different wheels and suspension though so I’m not sure if I messed things up there.
Which is my fear...haha. I managed to rash the two passenger side SS rims at the end of last year on a very uneven old gutter...an unevenness which I didn’t pick at the time. I had actually parked, left wifey in the car while I ran across to the ATM and then when I came back, got in and rolled forward to exit we both heard/felt the rub and looked at each other....and of course wifey says, ‘glad that wasn’t me’ :(...went and parked elsewhere to inspect the front rim damage and then unexpectedly saw a graze across the surface of the rear one also...grrrr. Went back past the scene of the crime to see how the gutter and adjoining path had been cut/poorly repaired in a number of places. I must have parked just short of a slight protrusion....never rashed a rim when pulling OUT from a gutter before :rolleyes:....anyway if I was ever going to try self parking I must do it before getting these rims repaired :)

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Which is my fear...haha. I managed to rash the two passenger side SS rims at the end of last year on a very uneven old gutter...an unevenness which I didn’t pick at the time. I had actually parked, left wifey in the car while I ran across to the ATM and then when I came back, got in and rolled forward to exit we both heard/felt the rub and looked at each other....and of course wifey says, ‘glad that wasn’t me’ :(...went and parked elsewhere to inspect the front rim damage and then unexpectedly saw a graze across the surface of the rear one also...grrrr. Went back past the scene of the crime to see how the gutter and adjoining path had been cut/poorly repaired in a number of places. I must have parked just short of a slight protrusion....never rushed a rim when pulling OUT from a gutter before :rolleyes:....anyway if I was ever going to try self parking I must do it before getting these rims repaired :)

Just have that brake foot ready :)

with the dipping mirrors, front sensors and reverse camera they’re pretty easy to park anyway. It only takes a little lapse in concentration to graze a rim though. :(

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
Having a wagon it's a amp, sub woofer and Android Auto. Just finished with sound insulation through the car which makes a difference.

Last edited:

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just have that brake foot ready :)

with the dipping mirrors, front sensors and reverse camera they’re pretty easy to park anyway. It only takes a little lapse in concentration to graze a rim though. :(
No dipping mirror on the SS but in this case I guess I would have realised how close I was but I’m not sure if I would have escaped the protrusion as I left...lesson learned anyway, never ever parking along that stretch again.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Lemme thunk ...

Engine-wise I know what it is. Without E85 availability I don’t think I’d change a lot there. Maybe the LS3 cam, but keep cylinder deactivation. Start-stop prolly not worth it.

Fit the 8spd Camaro auto-box, for many more smarts.

NVH is fine, but there’s prolly a MyLink-II or MyLink-III by now with Android Auto and Carplay. Which covers the Satnav problems. Then replace the rubbish stock speakers with proper ones, eg. MB-Quart or Focal. Small sub wouldn’t go astray, maybe powered ones under the front seats.

The electronic suspension from the ... well, whatever HSV were using, fitted to Director wasn’t it?

Those ex-CTS-V Brembos, with the 4-pot rears & 6-pot fronts. Although that’s just a nice-to-have, we don’t use it hard enough to stress the brakes.

New wheels. Nothing in particular, there are some nice looking options around. Probably finished in a dark shadow-chrome or a matte/frosted charcoal.

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
Start-stop prolly not worth it.
People really likes this feature? I have 2 cars with it and it's a pain in the arse in summer also a battery killer.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
People really likes this feature? I have 2 cars with it and it's a pain in the arse in summer also a battery killer.

That's right. And new batteries are quite often not warrantied in cars with auto stop-start feature, like VWs. The way it operated has also been known to cause confusion among people not quite e "switched on" with advances in technology.