Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updating the VF to 2020

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm one firmly opposed to Ron's comment, but not for any critical reason.
As an owner years ago of plenty of pre Commodore Holdens, there was always plenty of improvement I looked for to increase the cars' safety before performance. I could have let them age gracefully but I wouldn't have enjoyed them as much.
It's different with the VF. It has the safety, comfort etc built in, so what are its real shortcomings? Inadequate connectivity? Big deal, its better tham what I have. Lack of some electronic driver aids? Ditto. Better brakes? Well, yeah, I'd go for that. More gears, too. The point is, compared to a modern car, just how inadequate is a VF2? In my book, not so much that I'd want to overlook one or feel I had to improve it.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
^ Agree completely.
As for electronic driver aids, get into a top-shelf VW and go crazy mad with distractions galore, with warnings, audible alerts, interruptions...the lot! The VF2 is cheerfully devoid of this nonsense and loses nothing becsuse of it. This is from my perspective as a DRIVER first, and enthusiast second and last.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A dipping passenger mirror on my Redline.

It should have been an automatic inclusion as it saves time and fiddling around when you pull up to reverse park with traffic behind you.

All my other new cars have it and some of my 10 year old ones as well.

This is not a fun thread for me, I'm old and easily irritated.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So you’ve come in over 2 hours after he replied to me just to reiterate what he said. What did you want to achieve with this post?

Just relax dude....I read your reply to @Ron Burgundy so replied to you.

I then continued to scroll down and saw Ron's reply. Hence my EDIT.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Led headlights, tail/brake/blinkers
Adaptive cruise
Brembos all round
My link update
Vented/cooled seats
Hands free bootlid
AEB
Wireless charging dock
Auto and Kw update
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
GM has lots off the shelf stuff in its parts bin ;)

Factory self leveling HID headlights (from Chevy SS but have to change to RHD beam pattern)?
(or some matrix LED upgrade with turning beam from some other vehicle, ZB?)
Windscreen washers from Caprice?
Electrochromatic rear and side mirrors?
(rear mirror is a Calais part while passenger side easily done via Chevy SS driver mirror)?
Seat coolers (again from SS)?
MyLink upgrade... with AA/ACP...

More difficult stuff is an auto gearbox with integrated electric motor as was done by GM some years ago (but seemingly abandoned) as it would improve on V8 gas mileage...

By far the most important upgrade is to add a few cameras for and some vision processing so that a small projector or screen could be used to fill in the A-pillar blind spots :rolleyes:

But the most modern feature to add would be 5G connectivity and an integrated 360 degree dashcam with event recording and push notification so that we could be notify when some lowlife keys our vehicle. Hopefully the recorded even could then help the police identify the lowlife :eek:

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Calais V features: After owning a Calais V before the Redline this one does annoy me. Auto dipping mirrors, seat memory and an electric passenger seat should’ve already been on the Redline.

An electric passenger seat is something I would be very interested in doing, as the manual seat sits too high and results in tall passengers heads almost touching the roof. The electric drivers seat on the other hand is able to be set much lower.

If I were to find a Calais V passenger seat at the wreckers, remove the base/rails/mechanisms and swap them to the Redline seat, would this work? I'm assuming the loom is already there?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
An electric passenger seat is something I would be very interested in doing, as the manual seat sits too high and results in tall passengers heads almost touching the roof. The electric drivers seat on the other hand is able to be set much lower.

If I were to find a Calais V passenger seat at the wreckers, remove the base/rails/mechanisms and swap them to the Redline seat, would this work? I'm assuming the loom is already there?
The loom wasn't there in pre VE models. Cost cutting would suggest. Not there in VF either.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Speaking of seats. The HSV foams would be a nice little upgrade. Similar to what @villn808 has done in his SS.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
I know the consensus is that Kayhan's early VF mod stuff was buggy but since then there have been a few updates. Has anyone fitted any of their modules from the latest update?