Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updating the VF to 2020

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Calais V features: After owning a Calais V before the Redline this one does annoy me. Auto dipping mirrors, seat memory and an electric passenger seat should’ve already been on the Redline.

Redlines should have been on par with Calais V for features/electrics no ifs or buts.

Can't agree at all with this. Calais V (and simply Calais pre VE) was always the luxury focussed model. It missed out on numerous items that the Redline had as well, Should Calais have scored brembos and suspension tweaks, launch control etc that redline got in that case?

The vehicles catered to two different markets and had the various options and features specifically tailored to suit. Makes perfect sense to me.

It seems to be the common perception on this forum that redline was just far and away better than anything else, despite it only being $500 (RRP) more expensive than a V8 Calais V.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ there was never a need for Holden to limit variants unless their manufacturing process was crap. That’s simply too rigid in thought.

Some buyers may have preferred performance features in a luxurious body while others prefer luxury features in a more overt looking body. Not having such a choice drives them away from Holden towards other brands like BMW/Merc (if they could stand the snob factor) :eek:

Limiting options to sellers is not ideal. Seems JIT manufacture hasn’t lead to the efficiency and freedom it seemed to imply. Sort of a GM disease :eek:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ there was never a need for Holden to limit variants unless their manufacturing process was crap. That’s simply too rigid in thought.

Some buyers may have preferred performance features in a luxurious body while others prefer luxury features in a more overt looking body.

It's a moot point and has little to do with what I was replying to. GMH hadn't offered bespoke options for years (think of all those VH's with various nausea inducing interiors as an example). It was suggested that redline should have had all Calais V features out of the box.

if that were the case there would be little to nothing to differentiate the models, and it raises the argument, given pricing similarity that Calais V should have had the vast majority of redline features as well.

There needed to be a point of difference and there was. One sporting orientated and one luxury.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
and for those who want both you get HSV, honestly the VF SS is so far ahead of previous years it't not funny,

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Can't agree at all with this. Calais V (and simply Calais pre VE) was always the luxury focussed model. It missed out on numerous items that the Redline had as well, Should Calais have scored brembos and suspension tweaks, launch control etc that redline got in that case?

The vehicles catered to two different markets and had the various options and features specifically tailored to suit. Makes perfect sense to me.

It seems to be the common perception on this forum that redline was just far and away better than anything else, despite it only being $500 (RRP) more expensive than a V8 Calais V.

I see what your saying and I agree with it to an extent. I would argue that electric passenger seats should be standard in a nearly 60k car though.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V came in Redline.

entirely correct, and I forgot about this one. I'd say though, it was dropped for VF to maintain the points of difference.

I see what your saying and I agree with it to an extent. I would argue that electric passenger seats should be standard in a nearly 60k car though.

cant argue with that. And don't start me on the bits and bobs the Chevy SS got that us longtime buyers missed out on...ventilated seats in an Aussie summer anyone..?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
how do these interact with the remote start feature?
No issues. You have to hold the unlock or lock button down for a second or two to operate the windows. The remote start works as normal.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
VE Calais V came in Redline.
True. But in VE Redline was an option, not a standalone model. It got front Brembo's and the VF style forged alloys. Did it get FE3? It seems for VF Holden saw the potential to create a performance oriented model based on the polularity of the VE redline option? Sales show they were right to do so. That said, I reckon a few of the the luxo options should have been available in the Redline. Mainly elec pax seat and electrochromatic mirror. The other stuff doesn't do that much for me personally. I reclon all models should have upgraded brakes as a option too, with Brembo's available at least in the Calais V.
This recipie worked for the Director.