Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrade audio system???

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I will be getting a VS within the next few weeks (most likely a berlina) and I was just wandering what speaker set-up I should go with. Because I won't have much money left after the initial purchase of the car I will be doing it all in stages. The car will already come with the stock cd player, so I was thinking upgrade the front speaker first, then the rear, then adding new HU and sub/amplifier etc later down the track.
I want to spend around $200-$250 on the front speakers, what size/set-up etc should I use???
Then for the rear i want to spend around $150-$200, again any suggestions on size/set-up????

Thanks guys, I'm sure numerous people have already asked the same question many many times so I appreciate your help!:thumbsup:

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
what sort of budget are you looking at overall? (Obviously you don't have all the money now, but it's good to start with a ballpark figure, otherwise things get out of hand - trust me).

One suggestion based on what you've said, spend a little more on front speakers and then either nothing or a little less on rear speakers. For best sound quality rear speakers act as "fill" rather than in your face sort of stuff. So if i was you i'd aim for a nice pair of splits up front and some basic coaxials in the back if you're going to have nagging rear seat passengers that want some noise back there.

A pretty common setup to go with once you have all the money is a headunit (aim for one with three sets of preouts although two can suffice), some front splits, some rear coaxials, a sub and a 4 channel amp. you use two channels of the amp to run your front speakers, leave the rear speakers running off the headunit and faded out so they just provide fill and have the other two channels on the amplifier "bridged" to power the subwoofer. Once you get to buying an amp you'll have to start looking at power ratings at different impedences and matching this to speaker wiring configurations etc, but for the time being if you're not using an amp it's probably not something to worry about too much just yet, just know you won't be getting full power from your equipment.

P.S. don't know about the stock cd player or whether it's an aftermarket headunit in the car you're looking at, but if it's stock it probably doesn't come with preouts for an amp. I think Phreddy on here does some sort of stock unit converter, but you'd have to probe him for more info.

inasinman

inasinman
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ACCLAIM
if you wanted to spend 200 dollars or so. I would suggest a pair of 6" response split from jaycar for $149 and pioneer 6" for the back about 110 from strathfield or JB hifi. If you wanted a sub, the response 12 " rated pretty good for the price.

the reason why I wouldn't do 6x9 inch for the back is because it takes too much mucking around and if it shows, they're likely to be stolen....heheheheh

jaycar 4 channel amps aren't too bad. They're pretty good for $249 on special, so you might have to wait.....hehehehehe

vsMick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
i just brought a pair of splits for my VS today. Alpine type R from JB-HI-FI. ($330)There going to be running of the amp i puchased not long ago. The rear speakers will remain standard and be running of the head unit only. Later (after i install all of this) i will be buying a sub. Good quality sound up the front, bass from the back. Will hopefully sound alright without needing to touch the rear speakers, hence saving me some money. Ive also done my install in segments, brought the amp initially, wired it up, now doing the new door speakers, then subs later when i have the money.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Thanks for the help fellas! Good to get other people's views on the matter.
I think I will spend the money on the front speaker and possibly put some average ones in the back - I am planning on spending most of my time in the front :yeah:

Will let you know what I end up doing

Cheers

BTW. Overall I am aiming to spend roughly $1500 on the system in the next 6 months

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
heh i went sort of the other way, got a basic poineer HU ( $200 ) and their 3way 6.5"s which were destined for the doors but at the time i got stuck on the winder removal so i just put them in the back and ran papercone stockers at the front, the HU made the world of difference to the speakers but i definitly need to save some pennies for some more kick in the boot but in the bright side as it is its enough to vibrate the mirror and i dont normally crank it anyway so im happy with it.