Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrade IQ Sound System SV6 Ute

steelsabre

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 ute my12
Hey guys

im in the middle of planning an upgrade to my my12 utes sound system. Now im rather new to the while car audio scene and am just looking for some advice. I plan to install this all myself.

I want to get an RCA mod done but im wondering if anyone know someone that does this in the eastern suburbs of Sydney.. other wise i will have to drive out to Penrith to get it done. Can anyone vouch for the mod ? I want to make sure that its all good because i will void my warranty on the iq system :D

A few ideas going around my head for the system.. im not sure weather to get a 4 channel amp or 2 channel amp. I will only be running to front splits and maybe a sub like the focal bus25. Would a normal sub in a box work well ? I really have no clue when it comes to audio in a car.. let alone a ute with limited space!

I was thinking of pairing up there two :
Focal 2 channel amp - FPS 2160
Focal k2 165KR

with the factory head unit would it worth it ?

Or should i grab some alpines and be done with it ?

If you could let me know Some combos that you guys know are good regardless of brand would be awesome..

I also plan to document everything i do and hopefully make a how to for the VE series 2 upgrade.

Cheers

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
What's Alpine got to do with anything? If you think there the bees knees then go with them, otherwise instead how about going out and actually listening to the speakers, and buy the ones you like.

Contact Preddy ASR (forum sponsor has sub forum thing at top of the main page) I'm sure he's in Sydney and can help out.

Last edited:

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
I've got a mate who is picking up a brand new sv6 ute on the weekend so I'll be keen to hear your results with the RCA mod.

As for a 4ch vs 2ch amp it depends on what you want out of it, I presume you are just looking at something a little better than stock with a sub for a bit more bottom end kick?

I have a 4ch in my ute with 2 channels powering the front splits and a Polk 10" sub behind the drivers seat bridged off the two rear channels and it kicks plenty hard

The pros of having a 4ch means you only have to find space for one amp (which is handy in a ute) and not have to run either two power cables or a distribution block.

However if your going after a more powerful sub, say 500rms + you may need a second amp to cater for the power needs

As for your speakers I'll check out the specs at home cos I'm on iPhone atm however IMO focal is a better product for your money, a lot of people tend see alpine as being overpriced and talked up (not saying they aren't good just better stuff for same money is found)

If your after some ideas you can check out my build if you like, I still have the factory H/U and upgraded the splits and added a sub

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok before i start best advice i can give is do as HCVP said and listen to speakers before you buy, since you are located in sydney id say go down to fhrx studios and talk to marty as he can demo you some great budget to more expensive speakers

the speakers and amp you mentioned would run well together and sound quite good according to the review i read

is there any reason why are you preffering a shallow boxed sub? do you wish to safe all the space in the cab and go for a stealth install?
ive had bad experience with shallow subs before, youd get much better sound out of a full depth sub in the enclosure to suit

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
I have had the RCA mod done by Phreddy (ASR Audio).....don't go anywhere else.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey woolie what's the cost of your RCA mod and did phreddy himself do it or was it a DIY kit? If you don't mind me asking mate, got a friend that's just ordered a series 2 ute haha