Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrade reversing camera

RedSv6nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
My 2016 SV6 wagon has a reversing camera from factory, the image quality is pretty awful. On my last car (Subaru) I fitted a $20 720p reversing camera from Aliexpress and the quality was crystal clear in comparison.

Can you just replace the rear camera with an aftermarket? I figure that the guiding lines and all the other graphics are added by the head unit and not actually on the camera. I'm hopeful but doubtful that the existing camera will have an AV plug that I can just plug replacement into.

hhcam.jpg

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
This is actually an interesting idea. Subscribed.
I doubt it will be an RCA plug though, it would be hardwired in the harness.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes an interesting ideas as I also think the resolution and pq is rather poor.

Sadly MyLink is a closed system and I’d guess that the head unit expects a certain resolution while the video processing to place the reverse guide lines expects a certain field of view, both of which would need to be corrected for a different camera to function.

The wiring diagrams within the VF’s workshop manual may give a hint how to replace the standard camera (a link within a forum thread exists). So if you have a spare quality camera laying about it may be worth a try.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
you should be able to add any aftermarket cam that uses single channel composite video(the little yellow rca plug)

on the back of the mylink these are the reverse cam pins, pin5 for composite video+ and pin 15 for the composite video-(GND)
20180904_215304.jpg

you could try the plug at the rear of the vehicle that the factory cam plugs into, I don't have the pinouts for that but keep in mind it will have a 12v power pin which might kill your aftermarket cam if you connect it wrong.
I would use a volt meter and test it before hooking anything up.

Jacks5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
My 2016 SV6 wagon has a reversing camera from factory, the image quality is pretty awful. On my last car (Subaru) I fitted a $20 720p reversing camera from Aliexpress and the quality was crystal clear in comparison.

Can you just replace the rear camera with an aftermarket? I figure that the guiding lines and all the other graphics are added by the head unit and not actually on the camera. I'm hopeful but doubtful that the existing camera will have an AV plug that I can just plug replacement into.
Did you end up replacing your reversing camera

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
And if so did it improve the image? Or is the poor quality primarily from the MyLink screen rather than the camera?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hi @Jacks5000 did you still have the Kenwood in your car ? I bought a cam to hook up to mine , it has pretty good quality , its actually better image than the Alpine system in my car hooked up to my rear cam . From memory it will take 1080p , but not sure on that

Jacks5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
Hi @Jacks5000 did you still have the Kenwood in your car ? I bought a cam to hook up to mine , it has pretty good quality , its actually better image than the Alpine system in my car hooked up to my rear cam . From memory it will take 1080p , but not sure on that
Yes still have the Kenwood in my car looking at replacing my OEM reversing camera , which cam did you installed

Jacks5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
And if so did it improve the image? Or is the poor quality primarily from the MyLink screen rather than the camera?
I replaced my headunit with a Kenwood , looking at replacing my camera,but not sure what will fit in the OEM position