Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrade: S --> SS ute

N

nickbalcombe99

Hi All,

I am looking to move up in the world and trade up my VZ S to an SS. Just after pros and cons - obviously there are more costs for the SS but I need to know from other people if the 'fun factor' and street cred are worth fuel and insurance prices.

Cheers.

Nick

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
if your interested in selling your ute im interested in buying.

wat colour, k's, auto/man

btw go the ss. i would have one but no one wants to insure me for less then 4000 a year with a perfect driving record

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I considered it, but decided against it. Factors were: insurance and fuel (i'm a leadfoot sometimes). I figured that it'd be fun for a few months and then i'd get over it anyway.

It didn't stop me test driving a few, but ended up with the storm (basically an S). With the money I saved, ended up with a decent sounding exhaust, lid, liner and head unit.

N

nickbalcombe99

Thanks

Yeah thanks guys,

I have thought about some of those things. Fuel will be the killer. $1.45 a litre here at the moment. :bang:

I could do up the S and make it look nuts - plan is to put a HBD canopy on it and use it for camping etc. Decent wheels, exhaust upgrade, stereo etc. But not the power and that's what I'm after. :p

Insurance for me will be around $1300 / year. So not ridiculous. :unsure: The other thing is I am only going to keep it for around 18 months, so I figure I might as well go all out for that long.

My current S pack is silver, 37,000 km, manual (6speed), no mods other than an SS exhaust (gives a little more go and a note), brand new front bar due to a minor fender bender, three small blemishes on the bodywork, immaculate interior.

I live in Tassie so should be able to charge a little more for sale than on the mainland, there are hardly any for sale down here. Prob around the $28k mark I reckon. I know you can get them cheaper so shop around :)

Cheers.

N

nickbalcombe99

Test driving an SSz Thursday :)

Hi All,

I did some further research and things are looking a little less expensive than I first thought. I am flying to Melbourne on Thursday to test drive a silver SSz ute. Should be gold.

Now it's just a matter of selling the S Pack. If you're interested have a look on Carsales. Tis the one from Hobart.

Cheers,

Nick

N

nickbalcombe99

True true,

But can't really afford a brand new one, and I want to put the HBD canopy on. Test driving tomorrow I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Nick

SSZ Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6
HBD canopy

nickbalcombe99 said:
True true,

But can't really afford a brand new one, and I want to put the HBD canopy on. Test driving tomorrow I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Nick

have you had any luck getting a HBD canopy? I want one for mine but no Holden dealer seems interested in ordering it or fitting it. They say it has to be fitted by the factory. Is this just a cop out as they advertise them on the Holden website as an accessory?

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
Go the SS!!! You'll never look back!