Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrade VR to VS Engine & Transmission

DJ Frestyla

DJ Frestyla
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Belina, VR Calais 5.0L
Hi All,
I recently blew my transmission in my VR Wagon, but got hold of a VS nice and cheap.
Whats involved in doing a full engine and trans transplant into the VR ??

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
With the Ecotec a fair bit I was told. If it's V8 then with a doner car it is a matter of patience and time. The ecotec needs most of the electrics swapped over as well as BCM and ECU and that means some wiring alterations.

DJ Frestyla

DJ Frestyla
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks, both are V6, so ill look at taking the wholw wiring loom from the VS (donor) then , plus ECU and BCM, ill post back up and let you know how i fair.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
easy swap, you just need to use everything of the VS and put it in to the VR you need the engine loom and ecu from the VS, BCM can be left alone.

The VS loom will plug in to the rest of the VR loom under the dash (near ecu)

DJ Frestyla

DJ Frestyla
Reaction score
Members Ride
Awsome, im picking up the VS on wed, so ill crank strait into it, thanks again

mrc25381

MRC
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Series II V6
Dudes, What would be involved in replacing a VP motor with a VR motor? I'm guessing not much, they are basically the same, right? Oh and if anyone is cluey with auto gearboxes please let me know..

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
some functions in the BCM are different. You may also have to modify the plugs that plug in near the Battery. I know I had to when I did my conversion when I put a VS 5L into my VR stato, I had to use the VS loom due to damage. It was easy it's just a matter of swapping the colours to match.
mrc25381, I would assume it would be a straight swap as they are the same motor.

fkford

Love The Beast!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec S2
if u have a donor vs with everything in it. just swap everything over. EI engine, trans, computer n looms and possibly engine mounts and exhaust manifolds

tt turbo vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 5lt turbo and vs 5lt commodore
hi im doing the same conversion at the moment im having trouble wont start its ecotech into vr iv been told u will need to change the pins on the loom to use a vs bcm in ur vr dash loom.( so i have been told) and the plugs are diffrent in the engine bay there behind the booster on the vs but on the vr its next to the battery it will reach but one of the plugs are diffrent ones a 5 pin and one is a six pin cange the wires over matching the wires you will be left with a pink wire wich just needs a 12v ingniton feed i think. vs 5lt just leave it it dosent do eanything iv my vs 5lt the pink wire gos about 1m into the loom then stops :s. good luck ill let u know how i go.

Beau black

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
Hi im doing the vs ecotec in to a vr got the harness computer bcm and key but won't run has not injector pulse have done the plugs there all change to correct colours but have that one pick wire left is that all I need to do to get it running just get ignition feed and it should run

hi im doing the same conversion at the moment im having trouble wont start its ecotech into vr iv been told u will need to change the pins on the loom to use a vs bcm in ur vr dash loom.( so i have been told) and the plugs are diffrent in the engine bay there behind the booster on the vs but on the vr its next to the battery it will reach but one of the plugs are diffrent ones a 5 pin and one is a six pin cange the wires over matching the wires you will be left with a pink wire wich just needs a 12v ingniton feed i think. vs 5lt just leave it it dosent do eanything iv my vs 5lt the pink wire gos about 1m into the loom then stops :s. good luck ill let u know how i go.